Thread: UL-19 cutting off problem

Post UL-19 cutting off problem

Hi can someone please help me with my ul-19 I replace the stock motor with the tp40 30cm series motor 3 900kv I believe and I believe the TP specs on that motor 140 amps and the stock Dynamite ESC in that boat is 120 amp is that why the motor keeps cutting off and on off and on when it warms up after a couple minutes the guy from TP asking if I s?t the current cut off and what number I set it at I do not even know nothing about that can somebody help me out with this problem please??Thank you....

Hi, welcome to the forum. You only need to post your question once. Someone with an answer will find it, even if its not in the best location.

Let me understand this, you replaced your stock motor with a TP4030 3900kV motor and are running the stock 120A ESC, correct? What voltage are you using, 2S, 4S, 6S? The kV on that motor is WAY too high and is the fundamental problem. The stock motor was 2000kV, already near the limit for 6S and better suited for 4S. You've practically doubled it.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Yes I'm running a 6s with the stock 120A esc but I've ordered a sea king 180A V3 esc

Yes I'm kinda new to this boating thing but I'm loving it sorry about posting it to many times and thank you for your help...

Ok, no worries, we've all been there. kv rating on a motor is the RPM it will spin per 1volt. kv x voltage = unloaded RPM's. In general, you choose the motor's kV based on the voltage you plan on running, as well as other factors like hull, running conditions... and the list goes on. Usually, 6S is run in the 1600-2000kV range depending on the application. 3900kV would be best suited for a 2S setup. That is the wrong motor for your boat.

Why did you replace the stock motor? It's actually a pretty good match for that boat.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Just wanted it to go faster and I just got done running it and my meter said top speed 109mph

I'm not sure how accurate that thing is I'm going to go running again to see if it says the same miles per hour so will a 180 amp ESC fix it?

You said above that you bought a CM style TP motor??

Do you know that the MAX run time is 5 sec. in a boat, or it will over heat and shut down.

For a Rc boat - CM motors
    -1700Kv Version, 28.0v maximum for 5 seconds or less.
    -2200Kv Version, 22.2v maximum for 5 seconds or less.
    -3200Kv version, 14.8v maximum for 5 seconds or less.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

TP specs are saying it has a 10 second max run time so what does that mean I can only full throttle it for 10 seconds??

Well today it died I heárd the fan running but it was just going beep, beep, like the receiver wasn't getting a signal then I open the canopy and out come the smoke it fried my servo along with the esc I turned it then on and the motor still worked but the capacitors looked burnt one the esc I really hope the seaking 180A V3 can handle the TP 4030 CM motor????..

Any ideas what caused that

Quote Originally Posted by Toddly View Post
    Any ideas what caused that
    You cannot run a 3900kV motor on 6S. That's what caused this.

The original motor was a D wind and had 7.5* timing set on the ESC at the factory. I cannot find a published wind configuration for the TP4030CM on TP's website. It's either D or Y, which means you've got only a 50% chance you're running the correct timing on your now fried ESC. You're lucky you didn't burn the entire boat down. I would take a deep breath, order parts intended to be used together in a hydro of this size, and start over again.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

TP specs are saying it has a 10 second max run time so what does that mean I can only full throttle it for 10 seconds??
    10 sec. is in a car. 5 sec in a boat.
    Look at the CM specs for a boat right here on Offshore Electric.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...rod=tp-4070-cm

Larry
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 04-07-2020 at 11:28 AM.
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Well today it died I heárd the fan running but it was just going beep, beep, like the receiver wasn't getting a signal then I open the canopy and out come the smoke it fried my servo along with the esc I turned it then on and the motor still worked but the capacitors looked burnt one the esc I really hope the seaking 180A V3 can handle the TP 4030 CM motor????..
    it died hard due to the fact that the motor pulls 180a continuous, and can spike to 320a.... a 120a esc will NOT tolerate that for long at all...LOL the porper way is to get a correct kv motor for the 6s, and pair it with a properly (oversized if trying to just make speed passes) sized esc...

and, for giggles, i will ad the slogan of a speed shop near a buddy of mine to sum up what you want to do.... "Speed costs money, How fast do YOU want to go?"