Thread: Q mono ESC amperage??

Default Q mono ESC amperage??

I am building a 38" DF 45 MK II Q mono course boat. TP 4070 3Y (1520kv), ABC 1914 or 2014 17-45 CL. Would a 300amp swordfish pro plus be overkill or would the 240amp pro plus be plenty? I want to make sure I've got enough ESC to run a higher overall pitch prop if need be.

You want overkill for Q mono. I have a 38" DF mono for Q and log between 260-280A on average with spikes up to 340A. I have to add a lot of cooling to make the ESC survive this level, but it works for me. I am running a little more motor than a 4070, but plan on the 300A ESC.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    You want overkill for Q mono. I have a 38" DF mono for Q and log between 260-280A on average with spikes up to 340A. I have to add a lot of cooling to make the ESC survive this level, but it works for me. I am running a little more motor than a 4070, but plan on the 300A ESC.
    Thank you sir. I've got a 300amp pro already so I'll go with it. How did you add water cooling, a water cooled esc plate? Any prop suggestions for my setup?

Tyler is correct on 250 + amps easily with a Q. I run that DF with a 4070 1350kv for heat racing and find 1914/3 and X450-452/3 blades work well. Your 1520 kv will require less prop to make 6 laps. I do find 3 blades carry the boat better especially with the 300SF (the Brick) up front.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Sounds like the 1914/2 would be a good prop to start with since I have it already. I'll use a battery checker and see how much battery I have left and go from there. I dont have many 3 blades and none that'll work on that boat. I may have to add some more 3 blades to my collection. Thanks for the help guys.

Your best tool to check is going to be motor temp. After a run pull the cowl off and with your hand touch the end bell of the motor and the end of the shaft. You want to stay under 160-180F. If you cannot touch without holding your finger on the end for several seconds it's too much prop. You can also use an IR meter, but I find touching it with a finger is consistent and easy.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Your best tool to check is going to be motor temp. After a run pull the cowl off and with your hand touch the end bell of the motor and the end of the shaft. You want to stay under 160-180F. If you cannot touch without holding your finger on the end for several seconds it's too much prop. You can also use an IR meter, but I find touching it with a finger is consistent and easy.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm about two years into the hobby and will take all the help I can get. I probably would have thrown in the towel by now if it wasn't for all the help I have received. It is appreciated

Recently Stripped my dated hull of all its shiny OSE hardware. Looking to put all of The parts in a configuration similar to this but with the 41” version of this hull. My only question being what is a “Q” mono? And can a non “Q” mono run a smaller esc. Thanks!

Q being 6S will pull amps proportional to size (watts) of the motor and prop load. Going higher in volts say 8 or 10S and lower in KV proportionally will require less amps in an esc. Less prop, less speed, and longer run 6S. Too small a prop and efficiency goes in the toilet. Anything over a 40X82mm (3 watts) will need more than a 200 amp ESC, Not what you want to hear I am sure.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Quote Originally Posted by cmoo View Post
    Recently Stripped my dated hull of all its shiny OSE hardware. Looking to put all of The parts in a configuration similar to this but with the 41? version of this hull. My only question being what is a ?Q? mono? And can a non ?Q? mono run a smaller esc. Thanks!
    Q mono would be 6S and a hull that is 40" or less. That is per NAMBA rules.