Thread: Bigger boat recommendations

Default Bigger boat recommendations

Hi, I?m new to this forum but looks like it has lots of info.

I?ve researched boats online doing google searches and always see the same boats with very little info. I?ve had several RC cars, trucks and drones but am new to boating. Always wanted to get a rc boat to take to the lake when we go.

My 5 year old recent got me into wanting a boat as he loves his RC boats. He has an H-100 that he handles well in the pool.

I?m looking for a RTR or ARTR (minimal work required) that has some sort of self righting system and runs 30+mph. I?m not looking for the fastest boat, just something I can enjoy with my son while he drives his boats. I?d like to get a bigger boat 26? or bigger. Something that I could even add upgrades too down the line. I was looking a pro boats sonic wake 36? but see mixed reviews on it. The reason

Hoping you guys can share your knowledge and provide some suggestions. Not seeing a lot of self righting bigger boats.

Thanks!
    Chad

The Sonicwake on 4s will do what you want. On 6s it is a drag boat basically and does not handle that well nor do the electrics last. Get a couple of 4s packs, you need at least a good 40C rated packs for boats as they draw a lot more current than cars etc., 5000mah is a good size for reasonable run time. You can prop it up a little for more speed later on if you wish.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Go with the Sonicwake. I purchased a Recoil 26 to take out on the lake in my 1:1 boat since it is self righting. It is a blast and a ton of fun to run and jump off the waves! But it is not the fastest, a few weeks later the Sonicwake was released and I was kinda pissed off. This winter I put a bigger ESC in it and a new prop so I can run it on 4s and hope the increased speed will keep me satisfied. Tried selling the Recoil to get a Sonicwake but I was not going to give the boat away just to get a new one so I decided to upgrade it.

+1 on the Sonicwake. It's a great boat right out of the box and has self righting with lots of spare parts available if you break something. I ran mine all last summer stock on 6s batteries but propped down a bit in an effort to tame the beast by installing a GrimRacer 42x55 1.3 pitch prop. IMHO the stock 1.6 pitch prop is a bit too much for this boat and pushes the electronics and handling to the edge as Peter A indicated.