Thread: Outboard cut out to mount electric motor to leg without adapter?

Default Outboard cut out to mount electric motor to leg without adapter?

I have heard of someone (or more) that cuts down into the shaft area to mount a motor directly to the leg. This lowers the center of gravity. Any information?
    Dumas Air Boat OS 25 nitro, Dumas Air Boat Brushless, Midwest Lobster Boat, AQ Lucas Oil Cat, Dumas Hot Shot IV Proboat outboard, Delta Force Cyber Storm 33

You can drill a bolt pattern like a faceplate on the top flat of an outboard lower, short 3mm screws through the bottom of the plate will hold motor. Then drill or machine carefully a larger hole where the flex cable is centered. You will need a custom shortened flex cable squared or use a collet on a shortened flex shaft. One with a grub screw would be easier to attach.
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...?prod=ose-1340 The cable will be exposed but easy to oil between runs
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

IMG_0493.JPGIMG_0495.jpgIMG_0492.JPG

OK a picture is worth a 1000 words so I took a lower and a drill press and cobbled one out. I found to line up the shaft I needed to use an old rudder cutoff to wedge the motor angle for shaft alignment, I don't have the capability of squaring a cable so I will cut off an outboard cable to fit in the round coupler. I did shorten the 5mm motor shaft to keep the coupler closer to the motor. If you have a machine shop or a friend with one you can do a much nicer job. Right now with staying home and social distance I have too much time for projects that don't need to be done.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414