Thread: 110' WWI Sub chaser.

Default 110' WWI Sub chaser.

I usually scratch build most of my scale boats, but I enjoyed building the Dauntless kit so much, that I bought the Dumas 110' Sub Chaser kit.
    The idea was to build it after I finished the American Enterprise kit that I'm half way through.

But I couldn't help myself & started it ahead of time, a couple of months ago.
    It's nearing completion, so I thought I'd post a few pics in a sort of retrospective build thread. I should have started it earlier, I know.

So here's the kit.

http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...oducts_id=1066

It's a very bare & basic kit compared to what the real boats had packed onto the decks. So I'm adding more detail with photos taken from the internet & this fantastic site linked below.
    There are some brilliant photos of the real boats "Close Aboard" & of other peoples models too.

https://www.subchaser.org/home

Where to start.

Well, the kit comes with a great set of instructions & assembly diagrams & a full size top & side drawing & a full size keel drawing.
    Step 1 is to assemble the two halves of each former, & then assemble the keel.

Next draw some lines on the building board & assemble the formers onto the keel.
    A small dab of CA glue holds the formers to the board. The tabs are cut away later.
    Then the wood strips are added at the deck line.

A little sanding to fair the timber to the formers & then the planking was added.
    A bit of tapering, & beveling is required to fit some of the planks.
    Also a bit of splicing of the planks, because the basswood planks provided are not quite long enough to reach from stem to stern.

Joining the formers together.
    m_02.jpg

Laying the keel.
    m_2.jpg

Assembling the frames & keel on the building board.
    m_003.jpg

Planking underway.
    m_006.jpg

Notice the spliced planks. They were really only an inch or so short but I staggered the joints for structural integrity so they weren't all in the same line.
    m_008.jpg

Then it was on to the deck.
    The kit comes with 1/4" basswood planks. But at the 1:35 scale that this kit is, they are much too wide when compared to photos of the original boats. So I split them in half, down to 1/8" wide. Still a tad wide I think, but much more realistic.
    The king plank down the center remained 1/4" wide though, as per the original boats.
    I laid a couple of margin planks along the outside edge of the deck & then laid all the planks parallel to the king plank, as per the original boats.

Before the finished deck was glued onto the hull, I added the rudder post tube, the stuffing tube, the servo mounts & servo, and the motor mounts.

Then the hull was sanded & filled & sanded again.

The bulwarks & rub rails were added & construction of the cabin & bridge was started.

King plank & margin planks added to the deck.
    m_0.jpg

Planking all finished & sanded.
    m_002.jpg

Rudder tube, servo stuffing tube, & the motor mounts added before the deck is glued on.
    m_009.jpg

Deck attached. Bulwarks & rub rails added. Superstructure under construction.
    m_012.jpg

Front view of the bulwarks & deck in place, with the hull & filler all sanded to shape.
    m_011.jpg

Next I tackled the handrails.
    Full size drawings are supplied, & the brass rod is simply taped to the drawings & all soldered together.

Brass rod taped to the drawings and soldered together.
    m_013.jpg

Railings removed from the plans & bent into the appropriate shapes.
    m_015.jpg

Then it was time to start on the fiddly bits. I decided to paint them as I made them & store them in a box.

Here's the cabin & wheelhouse finished & painted, along with various hatches, air vents, the 5" Pool gun, & the winch.
    m_020.jpg

Next I tackled the main mast, jack stay & davits etc.
    m_021.jpg

Then it was the Y gun depth charge launcher which was supplied with the kit. I added extra depth charges & the depth charge rack for the rear of the boat, which I glued to the rudder hatch.
    m_019.jpg

Made the stanchions from tubing & wire eyelets as per the drawings. drilled them into a scrap piece of ply for painting.
    m_016.jpg

Here's a few more bits added to the pile of items, including stanchions, equipment lockers, 44 gallon fuel drums, searchlight, weather break, & navigation light frames.
    P1010007.jpg

Cool

I?m certain it will be gorgeous!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Another great build started. I just don't have the patience for a project like that, but it sure fun to watch the progress.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks guys.
    I just love WWI & pre WWI navy boats. It's the history that is learned during the research for the builds that I really like. The wide wide world of web is an amazing thing.

Here's a few more pics to catch up to her current status.

The hull was painted a couple of weeks ago.
    P1010016.jpg

P1010011.jpg

The original boats had 3 motors & drives. I bought 3 little 385 size motors to install, but when they arrived it all became too hard to fit them & the drive shafts into the narrow hull. So I ended up just fitting a single 540 motor as per the plans.

The 540 motor from an old battery drill fitted.

P1010014.jpg

The commencement of fitting the deck gear.

P1010012.jpg

P1010013.jpg

Talking about patience. At the moment I'm making a dozen or so tiny little wooden chocks to tie the spare depth charges down to on the deck.
    A bit tedious. But fun.

Here's an old movie involving the sub chasers, made in 1939. Thunder Afloat.
    Entertaining, with some great images of life on these boats.

https://archive.org/details/thunderafloat1939