Thread: Can I run 6S or Only 5S?

Default Can I run 6S or Only 5S?

I'm loving my new TFL Zonda but only been running on 4S since that's what came with it. The guy I bought it from said not to run above 5S but I'd like the expert opinions. ESC's are seaking 120's (says they handle 6s) and the motors are SSS 2075's. Will this set up handle 6s reliably or should I stick to 5s? Don't really want to change esc's or motors at this point.

Thanks for your helping the newb.

Here's my thought's,
    I have the zonda cf twins (180amp ESC, SSS 2075kv) and occasionally will run 6s with dashbota's 1716 props, but I also have duel water intakes and only do short saw runs (4) (temps are in the low 100's). Normally run 4s for 3-4 minutes and come in with the same temps.

I have had to replace bearings (not sure if it was because of the high rpm's though) If you want to run 6s be prepared (needs to be reinforced for blow over's) and make sure that you have b/s props (contact dashbota on this site)
    If you don't want to change esc's stick to 5s and get some some good props from dashbota, He will steer you well.

Quote Originally Posted by OHLP View Post
    I'm loving my new TFL Zonda but only been running on 4S since that's what came with it. The guy I bought it from said not to run above 5S but I'd like the expert opinions. ESC's are seaking 120's (says they handle 6s) and the motors are SSS 2075's. Will this set up handle 6s reliably or should I stick to 5s? Don't really want to change esc's or motors at this point.

Thanks for your helping the newb.
    You can run 6S with those ESC's and motors, but you're about at their limit and it will *ALL* depend on your prop selection and the quality of your your batteries. Too much load from an aggressive set of props and you'll surely smoke something. Hopefully you've got something mild to start with like a 442.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks for the responses guys. I have ordered the parts to convert the boat to dual cooling. I honestly don't think the single pickup cooling is doing anything, so that was priority before increasing power. As I said in the original post, I want it to be reliable fast fun so based on your comments I'll stick to 5s for now. The boat has the stock props now. How does a person go about educating themselves on props? I have no idea what the numbers mean or equate to in real life. Haven't found a lot of educational content on the net but I may not be searching correctly.

Thanks again.

A short primer on props: two main variables are changed, diameter and pitch ratio. Increase either, and you'll typically go faster. Octura lists their props as pitch ratio followed by diameter. So an Octura 442 prop is 1.4 pitch ratio and 42mm diameter. Next size up from Octura is a 445, 3mm larger in diameter than a 442. ABC, is another popular prop, and does diameter/pitch, using inches. A common ABC prop is a 1715, which is 1.7" diameter, is a little over 43mm. Knowing what diameter and pitch to use for a given hull and driveline setup comes with experience, testing, and research of what has worked for others.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thank you for the prop info. That gives me a starting point.

Am I correct in assuming that larger diameter and increased pitch will lead to higher amp draw and more heat? Will that also reduce motor RPM?

Yes, many factors are at play all at once. Yes, "too" much prop can reduce motor RPM. Its hard to grasp all of the variables initially, but as you begin to work through the basics with your own experience, some of the more nuanced variables become a little easier to understand.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)