Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q-Sport Build of Shooters New Pearl Design

Default Q-Sport Build of Shooters New Pearl Design

I picked up the framing kits for the new Spec-Sport and P-Sport Pearl design from Pete a few weeks ago. I really like the sponson and hull design changes that were made. I think this new hull design is going to be a fast hull with a little tweaking and experimenting. Both the LSH and P-Sport frames are completed and awaiting decking.

So I started thinking that it would be really great to have a Q sport boat with this new hull design and have a fleet....HAHA. I knew Pete was thinking that he would like to get a Q boat out there with this design, but wasn't sure when that might happen. He's a busy guy with a regular job and family.... So I talked to Pete to see if he minded if I used his base design and enlarge/modify it to a Q boat. Pete said heck ya, go for it.

After doing some calculations and making sure that the hull was going to meet NAMBA Hull design criteria I came up with a 12% enlargement was needed to give me 37 1/2" hull length. So I traced out each of the P-Sport parts on to graph paper and took them down to a buddy that made the enlargement and printed new parts. This where the fun came in when I started thinking about the integrity of the hull with extra weight, power and speed. I redesigned the interior tub section slightly using 1/4" ply interior rails, motor mount bulkhead is 1/4" with 1/4" bulkhead stantions and using 3/16 sq. sticks through out the hull. The interior rail was also moved outward to widen the tub section for battery space and ESC. So these were the major modifications and really it was a lot of fun figuring it out with mod's to all the bulkheads and the back two sponson bulkheads.

After the modifications were complete I started to trace out the parts on ply, cut out each part and start the initial pin up of the hull. The pictures below are the initial setup and pieces that I have been able to complete since starting cutting over the weekend....LOL Yep....slow process.

So I am contemplating motor & ESC to go into this boat. I kind of want to see where it comes in weight wise compared to my ML GSX 380 hull, which has the Leopard 5692, 1340kv motor in it. So any and all suggestions and ideas are welcome for motor and ESC selection.
    I'll keep the pictures coming as I move along....but it is a slow process with the framework and maintaining a square hull design.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Incredible. Can't wait to see this out on the pond.

Wonder what happens if you just throw 5s in a standard pearl. hmmmm I just happen to have one sitting.
    Noisy person

Default Interesting Idea...???

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Wonder what happens if you just throw 5s in a standard pearl. hmmmm I just happen to have one sitting.

That's an interesting idea....I have a few of them sitting around too....LOL

Default A little progress

Made a little progress the last few nights. Added the the two main sponson stringers and the front fuselage/sponson bulkhead. Everything is fitting together pretty well with some minor filing of some sponsoin slots for the stringers. So far i'm pretty pleased how everything is squaring up on the initial setup. We'll see how it goes when I start gluing everything up.

Not hearing much on motor options....would really be interested in your ideas.

image7.jpg

I have mixed emotions on motor options. The 1527/1y is still the best all around motor on 6s I've seen for ovals. Works in everything. Last time I ordered a custom 56 series it came in a gigantic oversized can. It was so heavy it became a burden. I think there's a fine line sort of balancing point between available power and weight. Even in the P boat we've downsized motor from the 4070. Still not perfect but consistent and the boat will still run through any conditions.

I raced a Leopard at the CanAm. Plenty fast against a 1527. Boats were pretty even. I've also ran Kevin's 56mm in the Whip but mine is a freak show. I'm building a Whip for Dan that will likely get a 56 but I'll bet there's a perfect 4070 from TP we haven't run. Somewhere around 1250kv......ish.

We may have to experiment this summer with some different options. I think these Q boats have more to give. We just haven't focused on it of late. Better batteries.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Speed810 View Post
    That's an interesting idea....I have a few of them sitting around too....LOL
    The old boat that Tyler ran trials with is just sitting but it's disintegrating. Crappy builder.
    Noisy person

I was going to get a custom wind 1400kv from TP. I know it puts the rpm over 35k, but I'm running near 40k in P and it's kickin butt with no temp issues.

Didn't we try that with the Neu 1.5D wind?

1400kv is a stock wind for TP. That might be perfect for this new boat.

I wish I had as much time as I do ideas.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    I was going to get a custom wind 1400kv from TP. I know it puts the rpm over 35k, but I'm running near 40k in P and it's kickin butt with no temp issues.
    Pete....Is that a TP 4070 motor?

Default Some more Sponson work done

Keep plugging along piece by piece....LOL Cut and fit the remaining sponson bulkheads and sponson side rails. Its actually starting to look like a hydroplane... With a little minor filing and sanding to true up bulkhead slots the parts all fit nice and snug. So this takes care of the right sponson....Now to finish off the left and I should be ready to start gluing up the frame.

In the past I had always just tack glued up the frame with CA and then went back over the frame with epoxy and glass cloth along most all joints. But, Terry I think i read in another thread where you had just used epoxy to glue up your hull. Was contemplating doing that with this boat. Can you share what epoxy you used and any special method / tips and tricks....LOL????? I was just thinking good old Z-Poxy 30 minute and maybe thinned a tad so it soaks into the wood joints. Did you go back and use any glass cloth on the joints? My thought is that it may not need that if using epoxy right off the bat.

Here is a good question....with the motor mount bulkhead beefed up to 1/4" with an 1/8" aluminum plate; you guys think it would support a 56mm motor?? OR should I look at a rear support / just use a 56mm standard motor mount instead of the bulkhead mount?

Image8.jpgImage9.jpg
    Hope you and your families are doing well.....

Since Pete introduced me to the Fiskar wheel I'll be glassing joints forever more. Takes an extra hour or so but who gives a crap? So we invest X number of man hours into a boat and then get all nit picky over an extra hour or two. Really? I'm doing it. Make a stiffer boat that can take a beating. You've seen me drive. I'm going to hit the stink'n buoy.

You can still tac a boat with CA but for me just a dot here and a dot there. A bead in a joint is a killer. Once you run a bead.........no epoxy is getting in there. Even if you add glass on top of the CA it wont be as strong as making a matrix out of the two pieces of wood and the epoxy. CA is virtually useless in my opinion.

For years I used what ever epoxy I could get fer cheap. Even bought some ebay stuff. Epoxy is epoxy. Accept.....no it isn't. At all. Ball turned me on to West Systems years ago and wont build using anything else now. It's consistent, it's forgiving, and so far it's forever. I've not had any get weird on me where it gets brittle and cracks. Fingers crossed. That said, even the fast cure takes hours. That's my go to. Makes build time go up exponentially.

Trick to using good (pricey) epoxy is mixing small batches so you don't burn through it. You can do that with an itty bitty cheapo gram scale. That sounds like a big deal but it's nothing to do. Or you get little children's size medicine syringes with ML's marked on them. I keep those full and on hand at all times.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Since Pete introduced me to the Fiskar wheel I'll be glassing joints forever more. Takes an extra hour or so but who gives a crap? So we invest X number of man hours into a boat and then get all nit picky over an extra hour or two. Really? I'm doing it. Make a stiffer boat that can take a beating. You've seen me drive. I'm going to hit the stink'n buoy.

You can still tac a boat with CA but for me just a dot here and a dot there. A bead in a joint is a killer. Once you run a bead.........no epoxy is getting in there. Even if you add glass on top of the CA it wont be as strong as making a matrix out of the two pieces of wood and the epoxy. CA is virtually useless in my opinion.

For years I used what ever epoxy I could get fer cheap. Even bought some ebay stuff. Epoxy is epoxy. Accept.....no it isn't. At all. Ball turned me on to West Systems years ago and wont build using anything else now. It's consistent, it's forgiving, and so far it's forever. I've not had any get weird on me where it gets brittle and cracks. Fingers crossed. That said, even the fast cure takes hours. That's my go to. Makes build time go up exponentially.

Trick to using good (pricey) epoxy is mixing small batches so you don't burn through it. You can do that with an itty bitty cheapo gram scale. That sounds like a big deal but it's nothing to do. Or you get little children's size medicine syringes with ML's marked on them. I keep those full and on hand at all times.
    Thanks Terry....I'm with ya on the CA. I will as much as possible stick with thin CA to tack everything up and being careful not to load joints up so expoxy can not make a good joint with glass cloth and wood. You start gobbing the thicker CA in there and your just defeating the purpose. I've had pretty good success with Z-Poxy, but when doing glass cloth joints I stick with West Systems. Haven't had any problems since using it except when using it on the pearl that I decked out in G10....but I'm thinking I really needed to prepare the surfaces a lot better as the cause of that.

Think I'll stick with these methods that have proven to work well...

Yea....I hate those buoys too....LOL I swear my boats have a buoy radar system on them.....RADAR CONTACT 11 O"CLOCK and 200 feet.....BANG!!!! LOL

It's like we're aiming for them. Maybe that's the answer......aim for them. We aint that good.
    Noisy person

Looking good Mike. I haven't decided yet, but 4070 most likely. I've switched to epoxy for the entire build. Initially because of allergies, but then found that brushing epoxy in the slots of both parts, then mating together really makes a string bond. Slow hardener is best IMO. Then, later I brush on a coat and dab tiny glass strips (about 3/4" x 3/4") on each seam. Very thin glass to conform to corners. 3/4oz.

Finished framing the hull this weekend using epoxy on a lot of the main joints and tacking up the sponson joints with thin CA. As I always do I will be going back over all the joints with very light glass cloth and epoxy to stiffen up all the joints. Completed some initial sanding to even out the top and bottom surfaces. All the initial filing, sanding and pre-fitting parts really paid off. Will be ordering hardware this week and trying to finalize ideas for canopy's.

Seeing that I beefed up the motor mount plate to 1/4" ply; if I use an 1/8" aluminium plate with that, would that support a the extended weight of a 40mm or 56mm can? My thought would be to at least use a rear support or install a complete motor mount for that size motor. Any ideas guys????

Hope to start cutting skins this week sometime. So far so good....It's going well and I'm pretty pleased with the build, but man does this thing have a monster sponson stance on it. Should be fun, really cant wait to get it on the water.Image13.jpgImage14.jpgImage15.jpg

Default Moving forward

Got more work done on the Q-Pearl Design. Decided to go with G10 for the bottom sheeting mainly wanted it to be all one sheet and I had a 36X36 sheet. Made the template and cut to fit. Added some flotation blocks to the hull and then added the top stringers to lock them in place. Then started sheeting the sponsons, like Pete I'll heat up the ply and pre-bend to fit he curvature of the sponson. Makes installing all the sheeting so much easier. Cut the ride pads out of 1/16 carbon fiber sheet and epoxied in place. No matter how much you clean up this stuff it always gets all over the hull....LOL. Always make sure to be wearing a mask and eye protection when cutting and sanding this stuff...and vacuum constantly.

Have the turn fin hardware already just waiting for the rudder and strut hardware to arrive next week and get that installed.

image4.jpegimage3.jpegimage2.jpegimage1.jpeg

Looks great Mike!! I love the CF pads.

Default About ready for prime & paint

Well got the decks installed and the canopy work completed. Finished to initial fill and sanding. Will be sealing the boat tomorrow.

The Q?s smaller companions (LSH & P-sport) are also about completed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work!! Only one of its kind! I was hoping to cut a Q this summer but things change quick when you are living in a worldwide pandemic!

Default The little brothers are done!

Well....been trying to work around the heat and humidity. Finally finished the Q?s little brothers....LOL. The paint work and colors will be the same. Now will they run well and be competitive...😆

Will be moving on to the Q paint work next week.8BEA92BF-514D-4FC5-8E07-80815E6EB364.jpg36DD10C6-0169-486C-84C1-3BB82B2D5F1C.jpgCC06DB33-D2C6-4597-B08A-19A222743746.jpg

Mike, the small Pearl (Minipearl?) is like driving a F1 car. I can certainly be beaten. I'm old but Tyler will be tough to get around now. He's been running it twice a week since the last race. Still running the stocker motors in them.
    Noisy person

Hey Terry...sounds like it might be a hand full...LOL. I’m old too...really OLD...��. They haven’t even been wet yet...so definitely have to get some stick time. I’m still running the Pro-boat 2000Kv in the minipearl... Is that the stock motor you guys are running? Hoping to make it over for practice on Sat. if that is still on the schedule.
    Practice start time still at 10am?

Yep, plane ole' 2000 in there. Boat's really fast. We did end up placing a little bit of lead in the pockets on each side of the battery tub. Oh, it likes a really deep strut too. I'll have to get you a real dimension but way deeper than I usually run. Made me re-think Ty's Pearl. Think we found more speed as a result.

I've been playing with a SAW setup in there. Got it up to 67 and some change. Not sure about the setup. Super NOT efficient.

Saturday at 10. I'll have my board and my height gauge if you need to fiddle with it to find the sweet spot.
    Noisy person

Sounds good Terry. I’m hoping to be over on Sat. morning. That would be great if you have your setup table available.
    Still haven’t invested in one of those...been using measurements and my eye...LOL. See you folks Sat.

Terry is that the mini pearl at 67 ?
    :canada

Quote Originally Posted by ezhitz View Post
    Terry is that the mini pearl at 67 ?
    Yes but that's not a manageable setup. Still fiddling with that. You can't race it that way. Different motor with a plaskillion amps flowing. Enough amps for the Castle to demand a timeout so it could pout.
    Noisy person

Thanks Terry maybe you can get it over to flint when the time is right.
    :canada

Quote Originally Posted by Speed810 View Post
    Well....been trying to work around the heat and humidity. Finally finished the Q?s little brothers....LOL. The paint work and colors will be the same. Now will they run well and be competitive...��

Will be moving on to the Q paint work next week.8BEA92BF-514D-4FC5-8E07-80815E6EB364.jpg36DD10C6-0169-486C-84C1-3BB82B2D5F1C.jpgCC06DB33-D2C6-4597-B08A-19A222743746.jpg
    Could you show the inside with the placement of the battery or batteries ?

Quote Originally Posted by ezhitz View Post
    Thanks Terry maybe you can get it over to flint when the time is right.
    I wouldn't bring this one. There's no class for it. Have to take it to a NAMBA trial.

I do have a P version but my hunnydo list is extensive at the moment. Ty's regular Pearl is well in to the 70's now so that would make sense for trials. Still farting around with that. It's fast but still needs to turn better.
    Noisy person

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast