Thread: new batteries

Default new batteries

Starting to receive my new batteries (3s, 4s, 6s graphines/different makers) 4 each (different sites because of price lol)

Anyways, did some research and have problems with what I read, some say discharge/recharge 5 times before using, one said just charge up and use it. One site said one discharge and charge up then use.

What's your'all thoughts on this?

Did a search on this, found a few post, but must be using the wrong search wordidge for what I'm looking for

Thanks,

John

I immediately put my new packs on my balance charger and bring them to a proper storage charge and balance out all cells. I will usually cycle (full balance charge at 1C, discharge to 3.8V, back to storage voltage) new packs at least 1 time before running them in a boat, but try to cycle them twice. I also try not to put brand new packs in a boat setup to run on the extreme edge for the first real world use... ease them in, so to speak.

This is just what I do, based on my understanding of Lipo chemistry and what's I've picked up from others more experienced than I.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks,

I have time to do a couple of cycles before I can run the boats anyways (still have some ice on the ponds) I do my charging outside the house and it's still a bit chilly but that's ok.

John

All new batteries have a chemical stabilizer in them to give them long shelf life. The break in procedure breaks down this chemical. If you run them without breaking in, your batteries IR goes up and reduces performance/life cycles.

I read this on the internet so it must be true.

Seriously though I always cycle new batteries on my balance charger a few times before using just to make sure the individual cells are behaving as they should. A good quality battery checker is also a very good investment.

Yea, I'm with ya on cycling now,
    In the past I just charged and ran with them (Most puffed up after a bit) and am tired of replacing them.
    Silly me, why didn't I check the forum on this the last time I purchased new batteries.
    Checked new batteries and all cell's are at 3.8/3.9 volts.
    So, Now that we're pretty much in lock down (here in Holly anyways) and the weather is breaking a bit, time to start.

Thanks all,
    John

i am on cycling now. it is not necessary to discharge and then recharge to use it.
    you can simply use new battery right after purchasing it.

I have purchased and used numbers of batteries and had no issue at anytime.

I bought battery after going through this guide here check it out it will surely help you.