Thread: New Rigger

Default New Rigger

Finally finished off a new rigger. This will not look like anything else out there as it is a custom build.
    The sponsons are Kiwi rigger, which will be unknown to just about every one as they are a New Zealand design and there are few out there. The tub is OD and the canopy was made from the original canopy from the one the sponsons came with. I was given that rigger by a late club member Darcy Baker, great guy who passed away a couple of years ago from cancer.
    Next Month we will have our second annual Darcy Baker Memorial Hydrofest. I have deliberately worked to have it ready for that.
    It is set up for now with a Turnigy SK8 850kv motor and HK Yep 180 esc on 10s, but will get changed over to 6s with a TP 4060 1620 kv and V2 T-180 for our club 6s class.

20200315_155753.jpg20200315_155802.jpg20200315_155746.jpg20200315_155820.jpg

Next build will be....

20200306_104457.jpg
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

That is a beautiful rigger. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiBoater View Post
    That is a beautiful rigger. Nice work.
    Thanks man, appreciate that.

Beauty colour Peter. A rigger is a different take for you. Warning!!! They are a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Beauty colour Peter. A rigger is a different take for you. Warning!!! They are a hoot
    Thanks Shawn, rattle cans for that one. As for riggers....

Phone pics 123.jpg220230847.jpg20150719_162022.jpg

Small red one is a Predator, larger red one is a scaled up Predator, yellow one is the big one rebuilt with new sponsons. The other one is one I picked up second hand but did not keep long. So really just going back to riggers, where I started racing. Model boats however I have been into and building for around 40 years now.

Did a run on Saturday, ok but no where near as fast as it should be with that setup. I think a bit heavy on 10s. Then I messed up the esc settings. So I have changed it over to the 6s setup. TP 4060 1620kv and T-180. I was going to use a V2 but turns out it was dodo dead, so I put in the V3 that I had for the next build. Will be four weeks or so before I can run it now as we go into a four week covid19 lockdown tomorrow night. On the upside, four week staycation, and time to build the next boat!

20200322_170332.jpg

Got a last chance for a run yesterday, faster but esc and caps were hotter than I'd like, motor, batt ok. Run on an M445 and P220, small props but they work well on my Q hydro with that motor. Now we are on four weeks covid19 lockdown, so no playtime at the pond .
    I have this morning cut down the turn fin and fitted a shorter rudder which should reduce drag. I have had to turn the steering down so much it uses around 10* for the turn.
    Plenty of shed time now, next project!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Got a last chance for a run yesterday, faster but esc and caps were hotter than I'd like, motor, batt ok. Run on an M445 and P220, small props but they work well on my Q hydro with that motor. Now we are on four weeks covid19 lockdown, so no playtime at the pond .
    I have this morning cut down the turn fin and fitted a shorter rudder which should reduce drag. I have had to turn the steering down so much it uses around 10* for the turn.
    Plenty of shed time now, next project!
    Yup I am done my work tour today and then back home for the ‘recommended stay at home’. We aren’t on lockdown as of yet but a little time will tell. As long as we are healthy what an excellent time to catch up on stuff at home.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Yup I am done my work tour today and then back home for the ‘recommended stay at home’. We aren’t on lockdown as of yet but a little time will tell. As long as we are healthy what an excellent time to catch up on stuff at home.
    Yep all my other boats are sorted, including my little yacht. I have a crawler sitting in a cupboard (shelf queen so far) that I might just charge up batteries for and take for a 'walk' (come on little D90) We are on a total lockdown, only allowed out for exercise or essentials, food etc. Not even allowed to go fishing! Can't go to the the pond and run a boat 'cos it's not considered 'essential'!