Thread: TFL Zonda Maiden Voyage

Default TFL Zonda Maiden Voyage

Hello all, new to the forum and somewhat new to RC boating. I started with the purchase of two used Traxxas boats (Spartan and M41) and quickly realized I wanted something better. I ran across a new in the box RTR TFL Zonda (the blue and white one) that I think was a pretty good deal. I need some advice about what I need to do to this boat before the maiden voyage. It has the 120A Seaking ESC's and 2075 kv SSS motors that will be powered by two 4s 5000mah batteries for now. Here's my questions and any additional input would be greatly appreciated.

The shafts need to be greased and the manual doesn't say what to use. What kind of grease? Will regular axle/bearing grease work?
    It came with XT60 battery connectors. Are these sufficient or should they be upgraded to XT90 or something else?
    Does the boat need to be reinforced? I've read on here that a lot of boats do. I have no clue how to do that.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This post may be in the wrong place, if so mods please move to correct.
    Last edited by OHLP; 03-15-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Axel grease is too thick. You can use a marine grease sold by various RC supply stores, or something similar in viscosity. XT60 connectors are only rated for 60A and are barely adequate at best. I would go with something bigger, potentially a connector you can standardize on and use with other boats/packs. Just about any hull can use reinforcement, but it depends on how hard you plan on running it. I believe the fiberglass version of that hull has a carbon kevlar inlay in it already, which helps.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I use this Marine Grease for my boats https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...od=hh-dyne4200 .As for reinforcing the hull I don't know . I'm sure someone else can answer that one.

I just sold mine, it was the blue/white fiberglass with kevlar inlay. If you run it on the stock motor/esc setup on 4s you should be good. If you decide to upgrade to bigger motors/esc and 6s you might want to reinforce the hull (more chance for a blow over). I upgraded mine with bigger motors/esc and 6s and it was a beast! Never even got it to top speed in my canal the few times I ran it. I never had a blow over with mine but heard from others that the bottom hull and top deck will start to split at the seam without reinforcement in a blow over.

Thanks for the replies. I ran it for the first couple of times today. First run I had a setting messed up on one of the esc's and had to go back to the work bench. Second run was much better but couldn't get up much speed due to debris in our lake and choppy water. I could tell though that it seemed like it's very stable. Looking forward to smooth, clean water so I can open it up.