Thread: M34 Raider 4S oval setup help

Default M34 Raider 4S oval setup help

Dear fellow racers,

I have an M34 on the way. The plan is to set it up for 4S oval races. I already have the hardware. I'm using a 5000mah Graphene 4S, TP 4060 1950kv, ZTW 200A V2.

I was wondering if I could get some help with the following measurements A,B,C,D and a rough CG as per picture attached. I just need a good idea before pulling the drill out. I have also emailed Steve to gather his thoughts.

Thanks for any help and tips for the build.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's my take based on many P-Mono builds and lots of heats with several different hulls : (others may have conflicting ideas )

To begin with, I like to drill the center of hole A between 5/16" and 3/8 ". Too low and the chine walk gets too wobbly, too high and the hull sits down a bit much with the accompanying drag. Given the substantial power of current P setups, a little extra drag shouldn't be much of a disadvantage, especially in racewater where the hull is naturally riding a bit aired/high on the crest of the slop. Some use flood chambers to allow height adjustment during tuning. I've personally felt that I've not needed flood chambers to alter this dimension and use other tuning options.

For B you'll want to keep as close to center as possible BUT NOT so that the water they deflect is in the path of the prop which does best on a diet of clean water .

For C keep the rudder, when fully deflected to the Left, from hitting the largest diameter prop you'll try, but close.

D should be just about 1/16" above the bottom when the boat is sitting level.

You should allow for CG tuning by (most conventionally) moving batteries fore/aft - accomodate for this when laying out the interior. I prefer about a 28 % CG distance forward from the transom [9.5"] for a loose/fast setup - the Raider 34 appears to have a sharp bow deadrise so this may work, but tunung will tell.

Keep us posted - I'm liking the Raider34 for my next P-Mono

hardware 2 20200313_150602_resized (1).jpg

Oh and because of your screen name, put one of these on the boat

this side up 20200313_150825_resized.jpg

Tony
    rcboatbuild@hotmail.com
    Last edited by properchopper; 03-13-2020 at 06:21 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Tony,

That was most helpful. I should get the hull this week and start drilling away. I also got help from Steve regarding setup. Should be a killer boat.

Default Raider M34

Upside Down
    I am waiting to receive a M34 next week. Could you post some pictures of your build. Did you install CF inside hull or is CF not needed?
    Thank You and looking forward to seeing your M34 and starting mine!
    Scott Dartt
    Pond Gator 🐊

Love my Raider
    Noisy person

getting ready to start drilling on my m34.first mono for me.what did you settle on distance from botton of keel to centre of shaft hole?? ths AL

To add to Tony’s detail, I’d throw in my MO.
    1) drill and mount strut. I do flood tubes, but that is probably because I don?t have as much experience as Tony, or cojones to put a stinger on a new to me hull. My strut is 15mm from keel to center of prop shaft.. not sure where that fits with Tony’s imperial measurements (less precise those fractions are)
    2) place rudder as Tony says, close as poss to Biggest prop on full left, and holding in place trim tabs.. if you need left turn in racing, I’ve noticed that the rudder needs to be out of the propwash and maybe a tad farther away.
    3) trim tabs, agree with Tony, and make sure that you can adjust the angle on the rudder side; it’s a compromise.
    4) the turn fins are straight forward 90deg and at the chine.

I did not think more stiffness was necessary.. I did coat with epoxy so Velcro would stick better.

My cog with 4000mah 4s packs is 30-31% measured from transom.

I’d love to give Tony a run for his money on a Raider Mono a mono!!!
    Last edited by Jesse J; 10-24-2020 at 08:17 AM.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

i have most of my hardware installed and wondering about angle of stinger in relation to keel. i am about 1/8 in negative.is this about right or should be even with keel. tks AL

Set the stinger parallel to the keel to start. The exact angle will depend on CG location, prop lift and water conditions.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for