Thread: Proboat 17 power boat racer

Default Proboat 17 power boat racer

Looks like nobody has posted on this guy?
    I just picked up one and can?t wait to try it.
    Anyone got anything on this guy?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I'm not a big fan of steerable outdrives, but it looks like they have worked out all the kinks. Might be just the ticket for fountain racing......
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Been meaning to grab two of them for some pool racing on vacation. Curious to hear your thoughts.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I never liked steerable outdrives either, but this self righting feature makes up for a lot. And makes rough water much more fun!
    I’ll report as soon as I can get her out; the ponds are a little less confused, so hopefully today.

Now I’m looking for a 1/18 scale truck to pull it.. and likely make a trailer... anybody tig weld?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

One of the little V-Hulls I have in my fleet is the MHZ Gecko. I had set it up many years ago with virtually the same power system, but with a "conventional" stinger and rudder drive. The torque of the outrunner made the hull self-righting as well. All I can say is this is a HUGE benefit and in fact The Stinkbugworks is doing research and development on building a self-righting hull with a flood chamber this very minute.

TIG weld? 1/18 scale is pretty small; brazing or even just soldering K&S brass tubes may be easier.

There is a discussion on RC Groups about this boat and it focused on the U-joint in the outdrive. See https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...cer-Deep-V-RTR

Graupner used steerable outdrives in a lot of their kits, but used flex cable instead of straight shafts and U-joints. That might be a good "durability" upgrade.

"Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    There is a discussion on RC Groups about this boat and it focused on the U-joint in the outdrive. See https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...cer-Deep-V-RTR

Graupner used steerable outdrives in a lot of their kits, but used flex cable instead of straight shafts and U-joints. That might be a good "durability" upgrade.
    Graupner also used U-joints...LOL i have a an old graupner hull sitting with their steerable outdrive, solid shaft, and u-joint collecting dust...

Traxxas Villain.....twin steerable out drives....straight shafts....UV joints.... got one years ago....still goin...

Years ago, I bought a Graupner Systems (I still have it, but that's another story ). It was one of the earlier kits with the steerable outdrive. I think they eventually went to a strut/rudder configuration.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Howdy gang, hoping all are having a good time at home... working on boats!
    I got the powerboat out yesterday before the snowstorm last night and here is the before video.

I have since done a V1 round of mods.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Default powerboat 17 V1 mods

As you can see from the video (aside from me needing to tilt up my gopro) that the lil bugger is way too loose.
    Hoping to plant her better I have raised the strudder by 8mm.

I also made sure I was at neutral with strudder angle.

might have to wait until next weekend to test...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

So in raising the strudder, it appears you did some mods on the strudder bracket and the strudder pivot point, but the photos don't reveal all the details. Care to elaborate on what you did? It looks like you shimmed the strudder bracket. Was that to get the propshaft length to work or was that structural? It looks like flipping the control linkages was all you needed to do for the steering linkage.

Yours ran exactly how mine did. It was tough for my son to keep off the throttle, but he enjoyed the spin outs. I'll be interested to see how your V1 modifications perform. I was also thinking of propping down a little.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

So in raising the strudder, it appears you did some mods on the strudder bracket and the strudder pivot point, but the photos don't reveal all the details. Care to elaborate on what you did? It looks like you shimmed the strudder bracket. Was that to get the propshaft length to work or was that structural? It looks like flipping the control linkages was all you needed to do for the steering linkage.
    Shim was to kick the angle down to neutral. I dremmeled 8mm off the mount then shimmed to keep everything snug.
    Yep just flipped the linkages. I can add some more photos, this has me hopeful and yes... might be propping down. But one thing at a time.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Looks like a fun little boat! Thanks for the vid Jesse I might have to get one!

Years ago, I bought a Graupner Systems (I still have it, but that's another story ). It was one of the earlier kits with the steerable outdrive. I think they eventually went to a strut/rudder configuration.
    Dr. if you have any interest in letting the Systems go let me know. I sold mine a few years ago it was in rough shape. I wouldn't mind another one if it was in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by emspjay View Post
    Dr. if you have any interest in letting the Systems go let me know. I sold mine a few years ago it was in rough shape. I wouldn't mind another one if it was in good condition.
    I never finished building it...... A bunch of "Jet Mods" to it.

I never finished building it...... A bunch of "Jet Mods" to it.
    If you got the urge to let it go let me know. Not worried about mods unless it does not have the same scale appearance anymore.

PM Sent. I don't want to hijack this thread with something WAY off topic.