Thread: Venom Fountain 56" P1 KOS gas to electric conversion

Default Venom Fountain 56" P1 KOS gas to electric conversion

So I picked up this Venom Fountain 56" P1 KOS King Of Shaves from Ebay in April 2019 and I am now just starting my conversion. I got it in pretty rough shape. Here are some pics to begin.
    DSCN4492.jpgDSCN4493.jpgDSCN4495.jpgDSCN4498.jpgDSCN4499.jpg

So am I missing trim tabs? Got 2 bolts holding nothing on each side of the strut.
    DSCN5144.jpgDSCN5145.jpgDSCN5146.jpg

Got it all stripped and cleaned so the build can begin. And a pic of all the new parts I purchased so far.
    DSCN5158.jpg DSCN5159.jpgDSCN5160.jpgDSCN5161.jpg

any desire to make some money off that motor? lookiing for a cheap gasser for my Dumas DV60, it would work perfect for me...

Quote Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
    any desire to make some money off that motor? lookiing for a cheap gasser for my Dumas DV60, it would work perfect for me...
    Sorry already sold. I pulled the engine and pipe right after I got it and sold them to get some money back.

Quote Originally Posted by emspjay View Post
    Sorry already sold. I pulled the engine and pipe right after I got it and sold them to get some money back.
    not a problem! just figured i would ask...LOL

Got the main part of the build done. Need to put the new battery trays in, was thinking they need to be towards the back of the boat near the radio gear? Has anybody else converted one of these? After that just need to program the ESC and touch up the paint.
    DSCN5163.jpgDSCN5164.jpgDSCN5165.jpg

And my setup right now is 56110 780kv leopard with 300A swordfish ESC on 12s (two 6s 5000mah packs in series) with 55mm ABC prop. Anybody have any insight or opinions on that also to help me out?

That prop is a little small. Similar setups run a three blade in the same diameter. But, you won't melt anything down running it, that's for sure. Shoot for a 30% center of gravity measurement with the packs loaded in the hull. That will determine where to put your trays. Give yourself some adjustment room in both directions. Or, if your trays are small and don't offer much adjustment, make your first few runs with the batteries either stuffed in place with pool noodles or velcro'd down to the hull and see how the boat runs before you settle on a final position.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    That prop is a little small. Similar setups run a three blade in the same diameter. But, you won't melt anything down running it, that's for sure. Shoot for a 30% center of gravity measurement with the packs loaded in the hull. That will determine where to put your trays. Give yourself some adjustment room in both directions. Or, if your trays are small and don't offer much adjustment, make your first few runs with the batteries either stuffed in place with pool noodles or velcro'd down to the hull and see how the boat runs before you settle on a final position.
    Thank you for the assistance with my build!! So back in the day when I built R/C airplanes the plans had the COG marked, how do I find the COG for my hull? Or is it just something I have to experiment with using the pool noodle method? I will also look into 3 blade props after the first run this spring.

setup the boat with everything on board, batteries and all. The CoG is measured from the transom forward, to the balance point. Divide that number by the entire hull length. I use a dowel rod on cat hulls, but that's tricky with a V bottom. Someone once suggested a plastic spool that will still roll and support two sides of the hull a little better.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)