Thread: Skunkworks gen 2

Default Skunkworks gen 2

Finally got my Skunkworks hull in after it was lost in the mail for over a week and a half. This hull has never been built so I have a blank canvas to work with. I?m wanting to build it as a twin motor boat so what size motors should I go with? I was thinking 36x74 or possibly 40x??? if they will fit. I know there was very few of these ever built so if anyone has experience with them some pointers would be great.

Cool

I built mine as a single a decade ago, set several SAW records with it. This is a small cat, what do you want to do with it? Zipzip runs, oval racing, general sport boating? What are you?re speed and run time expectations? How many FE boats have you built?

I ask because there isn?t a lot of room inside, certainly not for twin 40s and lots of batteries if you split the hull or the hatch leaks after a blowover. Depending on the speed needed it could run quite fast on the right twin 28s. Mine was in the upper 80s with a single 36 on 6S.

Attached Images Attached Images
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I’ve never built a FE boat but I have plenty of mechanical and electrical experience for the setup of all the internal bits. For speed I’d like to be in the 60+ mph range, I’m not looking to set records. For run time I’d like a decent amount of time without giving up much speed. It’s just for playing around with and making straight line runs, I know these won’t turn good because of how narrow they are. I didn’t think about the 28 size class motors, that may be the best route for me. I just looked on the OSE and the SSS 2960 or leopard 2860 could be the ticket.

I will inlay the hull with cf and reinforce the seam. The hatch I’m going to fill the underside of the canopy with expanding foam trim flush and overlay with cf to float if it comes off. The hull will have flotation of course.

Hey there! Looking forward to some pics. Here is my original skunk cat 32 I recently attained. She hasnt been ran yet. She came with a 180 seaking v2 with an extra cap bank and a turnigy xk 1650kv 4 pole. I have a m445 prop on the way for it and plan on running on 6s.

20191216_161251.jpg

20191216_145317.jpg