Thread: flexshaft advice

Default flexshaft advice

so this is the ose flexshaft i bought back when i setup my pursuit .

question is : aside from moving the drive dog back a bit is there other shafts that offer longer threaded area? you can see this prop is barely holding on . yes i used some loctite on the nut but still isnt optimal .

looking at the flex picture you can see this isnt a long shaft .i doubt i could move the dog far enough . i guess i should try .click pics for bigger view

volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

I cant see from the photos where the front strut bearing runs to know whether or not you can just move the dog drive forwards a touch to get the nylon of the nut on the threads.

If moving the dog forwards would mean the front bearing runs on the cable instead of the stub, you could re-profile the dog side of the drive dog and gain enough space, or cut down the needlessly long prop hub to gain enough space.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

i suspect the front bearing is already running on the flex.

volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

Based on those photos, I would remove the washer, move the drive dog up far enough to get full engagement on the lock nut threads, then file a new flat spot into the prop shaft.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Based on those photos, I would remove the washer, move the drive dog up far enough to get full engagement on the lock nut threads, then file a new flat spot into the prop shaft.
    thats great provided that leaves enough room to engage the collet to the flex .its gonna be close . i might go the shave down the prop hub route first

If the bushing is pressed into the stinger, you could also potentially push the rear bushing in a both further, and trim some length off the stinger. OR, just buy a longer flex cable with a longer prop shaft and save this one for another build.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    If the bushing is pressed into the stinger, you could also potentially push the rear bushing in a both further, and trim some length off the stinger. OR, just buy a longer flex cable with a longer prop shaft and save this one for another build.
    I was thinking this same thing. Needs to be shortened about 1/8" from the looks of it .

oh , no fan of cutting the stinger .boat runs great as it sits .dont want to mess with it .