Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Randy Rap Titanium Turn Fins

Hi Randy,

Will your gas sport fin work for an 1/8 scale hydro?
    Jarrett

Quote Originally Posted by jingalls007 View Post
    Hi Randy,

Jarrett
    Hi Jarret.
    I?ve had a lot of enquiries lately for a 1/8th scale fin. I?m going to start producing them in the near future. Once I have them ready to sell, I will post it.
    Thanks ... Randy
    Randy Rapedius IMPBA #14315 CD
    Founding Member of Northern Lights Model Boat Club. Est 2002
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/167549743410494/

Looking forward to them.

Thanks Randy,
    Jarrett

I'm building a Blazer Marine Whiplash Sport 20 in electric. Would this be the right sized turn fin for that boat? If so what mounting brackets does it work with? Thanks!

James @ StumpFAB has some really nice mounts for Randy?s turnfins. Reach him at stumpfabricationllc@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
    I'm building a Blazer Marine Whiplash Sport 20 in electric. Would this be the right sized turn fin for that boat? If so what mounting brackets does it work with? Thanks!
    Yes, it will work with a Sport 20. Any bracket will work.

Which bracket are the holes drilled for or do you drill them as per request on each order? A UL-1 bracket is drilled differently from say a UL-19 bracket or the bracket I got from Mojo which I'm not really thrilled with.

Which bracket are the holes drilled for or do you drill them as per request on each order? A UL-1 bracket is drilled differently from say a UL-19 bracket or the bracket I got from Mojo which I'm not really thrilled with.
    The holes in the fin are not specific for any certain bracket. There are two holes so that you may lift or lower the depth to suite your boat. You might need to drill a hole in your aluminum bracket if there isn?t already one.

Assuming the bracket is long enough to drill another hole that matches. Do you know if any of them are too short and should be avoided?

Assuming the bracket is long enough to drill another hole that matches. Do you know if any of them are too short and should be avoided?
    I?ve always made my own brackets out of L Bracket aluminum. I like a longer bracket for additional support, however with Titanium it isn?t as critical.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a mill to machine my own bracket. I'm more concerned about the bracket I do buy being too short for the fin's hole spacing. Seems there isn't much options out there to purchase turn fins and brackets. Outside of the UL-1 and UL-19 I've only been able to find 2 places that make fins and 2 that make brackets.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a mill to machine my own bracket. I'm more concerned about the bracket I do buy being too short for the fin's hole spacing. Seems there isn't much options out there to purchase turn fins and brackets. Outside of the UL-1 and UL-19 I've only been able to find 2 places that make fins and 2 that make brackets.
    Neither do I.
    A hacksaw and a file does the trick.

Mojo racing sells brackets that are super strong.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Mojo racing sells brackets that are super strong.
    I have one along with the fin...The fin is really nice but very heavy. The bracket isn't anywhere near the quality of the fin It has very little accuracy and looks like it was made by hand on a drill press. It also places the fin pretty far back from the sponson.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Rapedius View Post
    Neither do I.
    A hacksaw and a file does the trick.
    Man...wish I had steady enough hands to do that and have it come out looking nice. Your fins look really nice...and your doing those by hand? That's impressive.

I guess maybe I'm expecting too much...I'm coming from an on-road 1/12th and 1/10th pan car background where everything is made to really high accuracy because every little thing makes a difference in that class. No knock on you guys...I'm just explaining my background and why I am looking for something with a little more accuracy than what I can do by hand...It's what I'm used to.

I guess maybe I'm expecting too much...I'm coming from an on-road 1/12th and 1/10th pan car background where everything is made to really high accuracy because every little thing makes a difference in that class. No knock on you guys...I'm just explaining my background and why I am looking for something with a little more accuracy than what I can do by hand...It's what I'm used to.
    I believe you are overthinking the mount. Not everything in rc boating is ?plug n play? like the on road rc cars.
    Good luck with the build. If you decide on a Titanium fin, you know where to find me.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Rapedius View Post
    I believe you are overthinking the mount. Not everything in rc boating is ?plug n play? like the on road rc cars.
    Good luck with the build. If you decide on a Titanium fin, you know where to find me.
    I'm definitely interested. I do have a couple more questions. First is what are the odd shaped holes I have circled in the attached picture? Second, It looks like you have 2 vertical holes for mounting at the front of the fin. All my current fins have the holes horizontal and the back one is slotted to adjust angle. Are you slotting the bracket instead? Or can I get the holes drilled to a specification?
    Turn Fin.jpg
    Last edited by InspGadgt; 05-01-2021 at 05:23 PM.

I'm definitely interested. I do have a couple more questions. First is what are the odd shaped holes I have circled in the attached picture? Second, It looks like you have 2 vertical holes for mounting at the front of the fin. All my current fins have the holes horizontal and the back one is slotted to adjust angle. Are you slotting the bracket instead? Or can I get the holes drilled to a specification?
    Turn Fin.jpg
    This is the reason I posted about turnfin mounts from StumpFAB. He made them specifically for these titanium turnfins. Randy?s turnfins require different hole spacings and configurations. Save yourself the headache and the time and order from James at StumpFAB.

This is the reason I posted about turnfin mounts from StumpFAB. He made them specifically for these titanium turnfins. Randy?s turnfins require different hole spacings and configurations. Save yourself the headache and the time and order from James at StumpFAB.
    Thanks! I must have missed your earlier post. Looking at the site now and the parts look really nice...but I'm not seeing the bracket. I'll try e-mailing him.

Turn Fin.jpg
    The holes that you circled are not functional. They are the letters ?Ti? which means Titanium.

The two mounting holes are to adjust your fin either up or down depending on hull and/or water conditions. You only use one of those holes. That?s all you need. Some boaters use two bolts for mounting their fin, however it is not necessary.

Thanks! I must have missed your earlier post. Looking at the site now and the parts look really nice...but I'm not seeing the bracket. I'll try e-mailing him.
    There's not a lot on the website, but he can make anything. If he's made the part for someone before, he'll still have the file and the turn around will be quicker if there's no design work involved.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Send him an email here: mailto:stumpfabricationllc@gmail.com

He?ll get you sorted!

Send him an email here: mailto:stumpfabricationllc@gmail.com

He?ll get you sorted!
    I sent him an e-mail and his reply was he only has ones for Sport 40/Q size

I sent him an e-mail and his reply was he only has ones for Sport 40/Q size
    Well darn it. Sorry about that. If someone here, that has the sport 20 fin, can send the measurements to James he can make them. His work is top-notch.

StumpFAB just acquired Novarossi so he might be busy with filling orders, but it’s worth a shot.

Wow that's quite a pick up for StumpFAB...Novarossi has been a mainstay in RC since I started over 30 years ago.

Default Randy Rap Titanium Turn Fins

I am now offering 3 different FE Titanium turn fins.

1/8th Scale - $89
    Q Sport Hydro - $79
    P & PL Sport Hydro - $69

Prices are in US funds and include shipping. My PayPal is randy_rap@cogeco.ca

Last edited by Randy Rapedius; 05-03-2021 at 05:54 PM. Reason: New photo

Here is what I did to match the bracket.RR-turn fin.jpg

Hi Randy,

Jarrett
    Hi Jarrett.
    I now make a Titanium 1/8th Scale fin. See pics above.
    Thanks ... Randy

I?ll take 2.

Thanks Randy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast