Thread: water proofing

Default water proofing

Here goes! I'm working on a longtail rc boat. I bout a 7.2 nimH pack and it reads to keep dry. Ok, can I seal the 7.2 pack? Now on bl escs, I use CX on esc but the wires a left dry and no coating. Ok when I seal the 7.2 pack, will water affect the wires and connectors ( round 4mm ) and short out the 7.2 pack if it leaks? Oh yes, thanks! How about lipos in said problem?

First why does the inside get wet? The boat should be sealed and not leak.

#Most longtail boats have no covers. Best to go to YouTube and check out their longtail boats. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck on my #1 post but trying to find out away to seal the 7.2 battery pack, thanks for replying! This has been fun for a 83 year old person . I tried to get hold of the people there to find out the cg but English is non available!

Yeah, you can seal them up no problem.
    Most consumer battery packs come wrapped in a heat shrink tube, so you just need to seal the ends up, the best thing to use for that is electronics grade silicone sealant, (there is an acid in regular grades that eats copper), I have used Servicol which sets to a fairly hard rubber similar to regular bathroom stuff, and Kaufter which sets more to a gel rubber like a bike saddle, either will work with the kaufter being easier to get into nooks and crannies, but the Servisol being much harder wearing. If you can't source an electronics grade (which is very useful to waterproof the rest of your electronics too) for batteries with their thick wires, fish tank silicone sealant from a pet shop with its much lower acid content than regular bathroom/kitchen silicone sealants is fine for nickle cells and probably OK for LiPos too, just don't use it on your servo, RX or ESC with their thin wires and tiny PCB traces/SMT legs.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Thank you! CX for RX-servo-esc!

I have used plastidip with excellent results and gives a better finish than does the messy silicone if your the fussy type like me
    you can remove it MUCH easier than silicone too
    I also use it on servo wire extension plugs etc etc

https://plastidip.com/

Just a thought. Instead of trying to water proof the batteries why not build a waterproof battery box inside of the boat . Then you only need to worry about waterproofing where the wires for the batteries come out. If this is like a scale boat you could make the battery boxes look like bench seats or something . Sorry I have no clue what your boat looks like but it's just a thought. Just seems like it would be easier to make 2 water proof boxes .

liquid tape, flows nice and stays rubbery. good for batteries, esc's, receivers, gyros, servos. on circuit boards use clear fingernail polish. i flip my air boats from time to time and just drive em to shore inverted now...