Thread: Build Thread: 3d Printed 33" Mono Speed Boat

Default Build Thread: 3d Printed 33" Mono Speed Boat

Hey Everyone,

Also building a 33" Mono hull atm,

i will upload some photos a little later on

Not sure what i am going to run electronics wise yet, still learning so not sure what would be best

Here's the model i am building, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2337209

Thanks everyone, I will update soon

UPDATE:

So i have finally finished building this one and I'm very pleased with how it went together and also with how it performs, Myself and a bunch of friends are now looking at building about 6 of them to do some racing and time trials with, I am in the middle of alterations to the internal layout and mounting provisions,

Alterations include:
    Using a Traxxas Spartan electronics tray and having it on proper mounts
    Making battery positions on either side towards rear for ideal balance
    Sealing the 3 holes towards the front so the front sections can be filled with foam during assembly and then once together its 100% water/air tight with foam as well

I am in the process of building a hardware list For MK2 as well, Ideally keeping the cost to an absolute minimum and reliable as possible, Not going for Saw runs just needs to be consistent decent speed but handling is paramount

The electronics used on the MK1 are:

3674 2000kv
    120a esc
    x445 octura
    6s

The Hardware is:
    Spartan rudder assembly
    Spartan strut and shaft assembly minus the rubber o ring
    spartan electronics tray - this was fiber-glassed into the hull on MK1,MK2 will slot in and screw down like it was designed to be
    3d printed turn fins that came with the file on thingiverse

My steps for building the hull are pretty basic

Print all hull components- I used Petg

Assemble using the cheapest no name brand super glue, I just find it works the best

Once hull is glued together i then lightly sand

Coat the inside and outside of the hull twice with polyester resin, This not only makes the print stronger but it also ensures it is sealed and it also smooths the print a fair bit

sand the outside until desired finish is achieved

I then mounted the internals where i wanted everything, and did a resin pour over the flex shaft area at the transom

next i mounted all the external hardware and did another resin pour on the inside to captivate the nuts against the transom

once i was happy with all of that i then stripped it all out again primed it using automotive rattle can high build primer

sanded smooth and then top coated

reassembled and bench tested

Then Fun timeeee...Well it was briefly lol......

towards the end of our second boating session for the day we were doing some time trials and stupidly 2 of our course markers were these rather large yellow buoys and well i kinda launched off one and it ended rather badly, rear section of the hull was destroyed, Didn't sink though which was nice :) Hence why i am redesigning the inside to make things a little more efficient in the event of a mishap,

Overall stoked with the boat and i will have it remade very soon, I'd rather that have happened to this hull than say a spartan as they are $220 for a plain white hull no hatch, and this was about $60 and a bit of time which i enjoy doing anyway :)

Thanks everyone

Edit: forgot the VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzb5dBJzbyg

Photos
    Attached Images Attached Images

More Photos

Finished MK1 Photos

Very nice..please post some videos of it running as well...looking forward to it.

Thanks Mate, Link is on the bottom of post #2

Onto MK2 now, Follow the progress at https://www.twitch.tv/0orav3no0

I will post the remix on thingiverse along with print settings, And will update here with all hardware and electronics used on the mk2

Thanks everyone