Thread: A couple of questions about my first Build

Default A couple of questions about my first Build

So I am building a SK Daddle 36 I bought a motor esc combo from OSE, 4082 1600KV and a 180A esc I have 2ea 3S 5000mah 50c I plan to run in series.
    I have 3 props not sure which one to start with a 440-3, 640-2, 645-2, second question is the ESC does not have a on off switch, shoul I wire one in on the red wire to the receiver or am I OK with out it? The goal with this build was to replicate my dads drag boat which was a Stevensnew pics 374.jpgnew pics 367.jpgnew pics 371.jpgnew pics 377.jpgnew pics 378.jpg
    Last edited by ranger18; 01-31-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Nice boat. The 440-3 and the 640-2 should be fine. It will run a little faster with the 645-2 on it but you will need to watch the battery temps.

Thanks for your response, what do you think about the power wire from the ESC to the receiver. Originally I thought I could keep the bare hull weight right at 3 pound but after starting the bodywork it needed to be straight its at about 4 pounds bare 7.5 loaded, I still have to build the bench seat and v drive cover, that will hide the batteries and all the other stuff so hopefully it will be no more than 8 when complete, may have to go bigger motor and ESC

Cool

What a gorgeous build! Thanks for sharing.

Don?t worry about no on/off switch, many ESCs don?t have them. They arm after connecting the pack. On/off switch or not, treat every FE boat with the pack connected like a loaded gun.

Your boat weight is fine, that is a powerful setup you have. You may find the 40 and 42mm props too small to push the boat efficiently, most boats that size use larger props and lower Kv motors. I can?t tell how much of the prop arc is near the surface, that effects the prop efficiency and a larger prop may be better. For best performance you may need a 45-47 mm prop, but check the motor and ESC temps often regardless. Try to minimize part throttle running, that heats up the ESC faster than full throttle running.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Wow, the trim adjust hardware setup is beautiful! Very clever.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

First build??? Holy crap!

Yep first model boat build I have built many race cars, this Dumas kit was terrible, had to re make most of the wood pieces because when they where stamped out it looked like the wood just blew apart, I would like to try to build a plug and a glass hull to get the weight down but it still has to have a wood deck and gunnels, i looked at the other glass hulls out there and they did not have that shape. thanks for your responses they are very helpful!!
    Here are a couple of more pictures to show the strut its adjustable just loosen the nut inside take a razor to the silicone on the bottom. I went to zip kits and looked at their set up for the A box and set the strut and trim plates accordinglynew boat 004.jpgnew boat 007.jpgnew boat 014.jpg The fuel tank is actually a oil tank for the stuffing tube
    Last edited by ranger18; 02-03-2020 at 12:06 PM.

I agree with the others, beautiful job. I’d love to build a flattie one day. Shame that there aren’t more ‘drag’ style hulls for us.
    Now looking at the side shot of the prop/strut it is set for a pretty much full submerged prop. What is likely to happen with 6s and 1600kv is that that prop will lift the transom up(or at least want to) and cause ‘hooking’ with little rudder movement. Perhaps a lower rpm to start, 4s perhaps or maybe even 3s for a first run since that is the packs you have.
    And like Jay said, watch the temps and check often especially if you do run the 6s configuration.

Thanks for everyone's help been away for a bit we just had our first grand baby and just got back. So I soldered up a parallel connector for the 3s and plugged them in for the first time to set everything up, got everything working good and the receiver started smoking, went into panic mode to get the batteries disconnected and put a nice little scratch in the hull, ( she's not a virgin anymore ). I have a spectrum DX5C with a 6 channel receiver, pretty nice piece compared to the old Futaba stuff I have, Just got off the phone with the guys at Spectra and they are overnighting me a new receiver did not expect that from a electronics company awesome customer support! So with the suggestion from srislash my plan is to use the 645 prop and go 3s for the first run and see how it handles, I can also raise that strut up against the bottom of the hull if need be, I would like to see this thing to do at least 50 mph.

SUPER Build !! That Hemi is just awesome lookin !! Hope she goes good for ya...

That trim tab set up is amazing.

So the flattie is ready for its maiden voyage hope to get to the lake this week here are a couple of picturesnew boat 027.jpgnew boat 031.jpg

Oh heck yeah!!! Looks fab.

So I ran the Flattie this past weekend its awesome! could not be more pleased. my guess 50+ mph, running a 645 prop on 6s, everything is ice cold gonna go to order a GPS and a 648 a couple of more Battery packs and see what happens, when I get time my wife is going to set me up with a Facebook page and I will post some videos on the RCDBA page. Fluid was dead on the 440 prop would have been way to small. Was playing with CG and we had a blow over everything was wet but all intact and evidently I put enough foam in it as it didn't go to the bottom.

Very nice, glad all went well

bump

Amazing rc boat. Pics in the water would be cool.
    Last edited by GoFastNow; 09-14-2020 at 01:05 PM.