Thread: Slow Neu 1521

Default Slow Neu 1521

Installed a Neu 1521 1880kv w/ ztw200a in a 30 inch cat and can't seem to get full throttle. It runs great at from start up to about 3/4 and then cuts out as you apply full throttle. Any ideas?

Need more info on set-up. Like everything...prop...batts...pictures...radio

Like Howard said you haven't given us much info to go on. Having said that, a 1521 is a pretty big motor for a 30" boat, so my initial suspicion is that you aren't carrying enough battery to supply that big motor, and the voltage is dropping below the ESCs cutoff voltage, try a smaller prop to lessen the load and see if that helps.
    Last edited by NativePaul; 01-25-2020 at 05:43 PM.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Agreed more setup info is needed but you could start the process of elimination by lowering or shutting off the low voltage cut off on your ESC to see if you get a more favorable response. Sometimes the LVC setting can be unreliable in which case you should time your runs so as not to over deplete your batteries. I usually set my LVC to 3.2 volts per cell but I never rely on that and always time my runs.

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    Need more info on set-up. Like everything...prop...batts...pictures...radio
    c
    Running 4 s 75c 8000 mah batteries through a Swordfish 180 amp esc. Setup with 3.2 protection, no timing, forward only. Have run a 3 blade 440 octura prop as a starting point. Radio is a spectrum DX2.

Did you calibrate the ESC endpoints? Is it a swordfish or ztw?

Cool

The symptoms indicate too much load/not enough voltage getting to the ESC, but an x440/3 is not much load for that motor and the stated pack specs should supply plenty of power. The OP should try what Capt?n suggested - turn off the LVC. If the problem goes away then the ESC is likely the problem. A photo of the interior could help us to disgnose the problem too.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    The symptoms indicate too much load/not enough voltage getting to the ESC, but an x440/3 is not much load for that motor and the stated pack specs should supply plenty of power. The OP should try what Capt?n suggested - turn off the LVC. If the problem goes away then the ESC is likely the problem. A photo of the interior could help us to disgnose the problem too.

When I remove the low voltage protection on the 180a swordfish the problem goes away. I changed the esc to a 300a ZTW and it had the same problem as the swordfish. And when I removed the LVC, the problem went away, so I reinstalled the 180a swordfish.

Thanks for everyone's help!

I am putting another Neu 1521 in a 40inch v hull and plan to use the 300a ZTW running 6s. I'll let you know how that works out.

Happy to hear back that solution is working for you. I never like to turn off the LVC but sometimes it's the only thing that solves the problem without driving you nuts trying to figure out what's going wrong or having to buy a new ESC. I had the same problem with a Seaking 180 and turning off the LVC solved it. Just be sure to time your runs so that you have a minimum of 20% or more left in your packs at the end of a run or they will start to suffer damage.