Thread: Proboat impluse 17

Default Proboat impluse 17

Hello guys . I have just bought an impluse 17 off eBay

I need some advice on the brushless motor and esc upgrade . Do you guys have any brushless motor to recommend me . I?m not good at handy work so I prefer a direct fit in motor or otherwise minimum mods . I have a seaking 35 amp esc . Please send me a link for the motor

Also I?m looking for a metal rudder and rudder bracket . Not a fan of plastic

If you guys know a direct fit full metal rudder systems for this boat do drop a link too .

As for to mod to wire drive what items do I need and also prop size etc
    Please advice thanks

The PB Impulse 17 uses an RS 380 motor, commonly known as the "Speed 400". These motors came in a number of Kvs (rpm per volt) and were rated somewhere between 50 and 75 Watts, but most likely the one used in the I-17 has a Kv of around 3000 rpm/volt. I would recommend a motor of around 3500 Kv with a mounting bolt circle of 16mm and a shaft diameter of 2.3mm.

Something like this in the 3600 rpm/V configuration would fit the water jackets that Steve sells here on-site (or the ones on eBay). It should be a substantial increase in power, and a drop-in replacement: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OCDAY-2445-...8AAOSw8q9d~E0V

You could also go with a similar-rated outrunner (2836 sized ), but then you would have to deal with the cooling.

Check the store here for rudders. Steve has a good collection. See: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...udder+Assembly

UPDATE: You could also use a more powerful 28mm diameter motor, but they usually have a larger shaft diameter (1/8") which means a new motor coupler/futzing around with modifications. See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SURPASSHOBB....c100005.m1851. I believe Steve has water jackets for these too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 01-20-2020 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Add more info
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

For the OCDAY 2445 Motor Senseless Brushless Motor Waterproof for 1/16 1/18 RC Car # orange motor is a direct drop in ? I do not need to change the motor coupler

The rudder I think I would go for the micro rudder . Is it better for a longer rudder ?

You can always make a long rudder shorter, but it's much more difficult to make a short rudder longer.........

UPDATE: I looked around to see if I could find any tested and proven upgrades for the I-17 and found nothing. I didn't put that much effort into it, so you still might find something here or elsewhere on-line.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 01-20-2020 at 07:22 PM.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves