Thread: New to this, trying something different?

Default New to this, trying something different?

Hi all, I have been reading the forums for months for ideas and trying to learn what I can to build a budget mono hull. I have been flying nitro and gas RC for 35+ years and want to try something different. With the cost of everything so high I recently got into the new big thing with flying witch is electric foam board planes. I had a bunch laying around and figured why not a boat? Has anyone done this? I have been doing more studying than building but have a hull pretty much created. Its a 37" mono, very loosely based off of a Prowler, 3 layers 2.5oz fiberglass throughout the inside, in the bow I added high density foam(same material as pool noodles). Once everything is together and mocked up I plan to do the same fiberglass treatment to the exterior. I thought it was going to be too light but its gaining weight with all the fiberglass. I plan on (and ordered) a Leopard 4092 1480Kv motor running on 6S to a Octura X645 via 3/16 flex drive. I tried to use the RCI FE Boat Calculator but I don't know how accurate it is. I am clueless on all of this boat stuff so go easy on me.. I would be grateful for any feedback or ideas.

Welcome to the board! Sounds like a cool project, but we need some pictures to be able to give much input or criticism. Good luck with the build, and look forward to seeing your work.
    Stiletto 29, Lucas cat, miss Geico 29, motley crew 6s, motley crew 4s, and counting

Here are some pictures. I hadnt been taking many like I probably should have. There are more foarmers inside than just the 2 in the pictures and I did not get pictures of the foam I added in the bow, but this should give an idea of what I have. It is 37" long and 12" wide at the transom.KIMG0063.jpgKIMG0064.jpgKIMG0065.jpgKIMG0067.jpgKIMG0068.jpg

A little update, I have the boat fiber-glassed, used body filler to smooth everything out and its almost ready for primer. I was looking at placement of motor ect, what is the best location for the motor? near the COG? KIMG0087.jpgKIMG0081.jpgKIMG0091.jpgKIMG0084.jpgKIMG0086.jpg

Gotta say, one of the more creative projects I’ve seen.
    Thanks for sharing!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Thanks, I am really just winging it. Never messed with boats before so its all new to me.

Few more updated pictures. Dont mind the mess..lol

KIMG0137.jpgKIMG0138.jpgKIMG0139.jpgKIMG0140.jpgKIMG0141.jpg

The tips of your turn fins should be pushed more outwards.

90 degrees two the bottom.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Thanks for pointing that out, I wasnt sure. I was going off pictures found in a searches and seen them both ways. Then remembered reading about mods on the proboat blackjack and they turned them inward so I just did that..lol