Thread: New Blackjack 24" only has 100' of range?????

Default New Blackjack 24" only has 100' of range?????

Hello. First timer here. My 11yo son received a Blackjack 24" as a christmas gift from his grandparents. We've taken it out 3 times now, and every time the boat quickly goes out of range about 100' away.

This doesn't seem right. I've checked the antenna wire in the boat, and changed the batteries in the controller, but the problem still persists.

The last time we took it out, the boat went out of range and then the wind took it away. I had to go and rent a pontoon boat to receive it. That was annoying.

Did we get a bad unit? Anything I can do to boost range?

Thanks.

Take picture of the inside. IMO the antenna should be out of the boat. Also what radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The antenna sticks up out of the boat about 6".

The radio is a 2.4GHz STX2 2-channel FHSS system.

I'm at work. Don't have a picture available.

A 2,4ghz receiver should have an antenna with the shielding stripped about 31mm at the end. Pull the antenna out from the tube and have a look. If it checks out, call Horizon customer support and let them know you're having range issues. They usually take care of warranty issues quickly.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Checked the boat last night, and took some pics. End of the antenna is stripped.

I emailed Horizon tech support, but haven't heard back yet.

Is the radio system that the boat comes with decent?

Here are some pics.

IMG_7224.jpg

IMG_7223.jpg

I suggest you call them during business hours, if possible, for the fastest response. I personally have not used that model Spektrum radio before, but in general, their equipment has been reliable for me.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

i wonder if the antenna being so close to the battery wires is causing some interference? i would try turning the receiver around so the antenna comes off the other side, away from the battery wires and esc. this will also put more of it outside the hull, which may help as well

Update.

Contacted Horizon, and they sent out a new radio receiver/controller combo. New one is STX3; old one was STX2.

Installed it, and it works fantastic now.

Also took the opportunity to relocate the receiver unit and the on/off switch. Turned both sideways so they fit better, provide better access to the on button and allows for longer antenna wire to stick out.

Took the boat to the local pond to test, and lost the prop and shaft to the bottom of the lake. Ugh. Never ends.

well, at least you are making progress, got the radio fixed... im sure we have all dont the prop issue once or twice... i know i lost a brand new CNC prop to the erie canal the first time i tried it... thats what i get for not using loctite on the prop nut.

side note, if you lost the shaft too, i would dare say the collet clamp (or setscrew, not familiar with the BlackJacks stock setup) was not tight enough, and the shaft slipped out of the motor collet, or there was still grease on the shaft inside the collet that allowed it to spin?