Thread: Power Setup Questions

Default Power Setup Questions

Hi guys I'm new to this forum and I was hoping to get a second opinion from people with more experience than I have. So, I've got a joysway alpha (aka hydropro inception) that has been sitting in a box for a while that I am now going to use following the loss of my carbon zonda last week and I plan on upgrading the motor and esc with a car system that I also have lying around but I'm not sure whether the esc will handle it. The can is a 1965kv 42x68mm buggy motor and the esc is a 120a hobbywing wp-sc8. Do you guys reckon it's fine to run this or is it a safer bet to just buy a new marine system. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys,
    Angus

It totally depends on prop loading. I built a small cat that ran great with a 4074 2050KV and a Dynamite 120 on 6S. I'd use what I have to start.

Cool

At over 40? the Alpha is a pretty large boat for that small motor. Will it work? Sure, but what are the OP?s expectations for the model? On 6S the prop size will be small and efficiency will not be great. On 4S the prop can be larger and more efficient, but speed will still not be great.

If the OP tells us his exact. expectations we can give him better guidance.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by AngusM1404 View Post
    Hi guys I'm new to this forum and I was hoping to get a second opinion from people with more experience than I have. So, I've got a joysway alpha (aka hydropro inception) that has been sitting in a box for a while that I am now going to use following the loss of my carbon zonda last week and I plan on upgrading the motor and esc with a car system that I also have lying around but I'm not sure whether the esc will handle it. The can is a 1965kv 42x68mm buggy motor and the esc is a 120a hobbywing wp-sc8. Do you guys reckon it's fine to run this or is it a safer bet to just buy a new marine system. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys,
    Angus
    Angus, can I asked what happened to your carbon Zonda?

I'll be running the boat on 4s which should end up at about 29k rpm unloaded and both props are 1.4 pitch and 56 or 60mm in diameter. I dont really have any speed expectations as it's more just a fun toy for myself and my younger cousins to use when we are out on the boat and I was more just asking to make sure I wasnt just going to end up frying an esc unnecessarily. Thanks guys

We were out on Moreton bay and I was zipping around off the back of the boat on one afternoon and I took a wave wrong, flipped it and the hatch came off (probably because I was using office tape as hatch tape). Unfortunately it somehow managed to sink without catching any air in the hull and I lost it before I could get the tender out there. I marked it on the mfd though and we are going to head back out sometime this week to go collect it.

Err, you will need a new ESC, a 2000A unit is probably adequate, and limit your run time to somewhere in the 1 second range to avoid melting the motor.

Either that or run smaller props, I would start with a 40mm, but use short runs and check temps frequently before stepping up in size.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.