Thread: Prop help

Default Prop help

Hi I am new to the bigger rc builds I recently started on a project hull I had laying around it's a 60 inch catamaran. I went with twin sss 5694 800kv motors on 12s, just really not sure on what props to even start with. Any help would be great thanks

You don't mention the ESCs you intend to use or how you intend to use the cat - SAW passes, oval running, bashing. To be safe I would start with a pair of x457 left and right props. These should get you in the vicinity of 65-70 mph depending on boat setup. If all you want is top speed with limited run time, after trying the above props you could try a pair of x465s but watch your temperatures if you do.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Ok great that should give me something to start with for sure thank you. The escs are the 400 amp fliers. I have everything here for the build minus the props and are those props available for 1/4 shaft?
    I know this is alittle off subject but do u also know know what bonding agent people use for mounting motor mounts etc?
    I'm in autobody and was going to use a two part agent they call panel bound but figured it might be to harsh if I ever needed to get them back off for any reason.
    Also yes I was planning on top speed with limited run time

3M panel bond works very well, but is a little more costly than epoxy alternatives. Nice thing is it's thick and doesn't run. If you're mounting carbon parts, it's nice that it's black already.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks for the response I'm going to use the panel bond seems like it will be alot easier to use it to fill small voids such as where the step is at in the hull also.
    Not sure if u have ran twins, but does anyone know if they turn the props inwards or outwards as far as rotation?

Inward

Prop direction on twin cats depends on the hull design. Some hulls prefer one direction or the other. Many times a hull will be unstable in one direction and much more stable in the other. So long story short, feel free to test both options, but be sure to swap flex cables when you do so that they continue to spin in the correct direction.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Ok perfect thanks I'll probably try both just to see which is better, I did have to trim both shafts to make them fit how I wanted am I supposed to do anything to the ends that go in the collets?

Quote Originally Posted by Branchee View Post
    Ok perfect thanks I'll probably try both just to see which is better, I did have to trim both shafts to make them fit how I wanted am I supposed to do anything to the ends that go in the collets?
    I put a small bevel on mine with the bench grinder

Nice looking boat and if that was the 1st run on the set-up to say it was a success is an understatement. More speed will come with prop experiments.Follow the advice of fluid ( Jay Turner) and check component temperature with each change.

Thanks I appreciate it, that was the first run and was definitely thinking the same as far as messing with the props. It was cold here like 35 degrees and the temps were in 110 115 range. I'm running 6516 props now and was thinking it needed more prop was going to try 6518 and see what happens.