Thread: Max amps

Default Max amps

If a motor is rated at max amp of 200amps how is it measured at what load and will a 240a esc be ok for that?

A 240 amp ESC should be lots. The amps which the motor WILL draw depends on variables mostly regarding the load which is placed upon it. Size of prop, weight of boat, how easily boat gets on plane. Always start with a smallish prop for the setup. Lots of ESC’s get blown up in the first 30 seconds by running the correct prop but on a boat which is not ‘setup’ correctly yet.

The max amp rating should be at the given rated voltage.

Shawn

The maximum amperage stated by the maker is the maximum amps at which the motor should be run. You can load the motor to draw many more amps as Shawn mentions, but you run the risk of motor and ESC damage.

How do you measure the amps? Without a logging ESC you can’t measure it directly, but you can measure the motor and ESC temperatures after a run. It is really the temperature which limits the motor/ESC, not the amps. Start by running for one minute (use a timer) then bring the boat in and measure the temps as quickly as possible. If the temps are under about 120*F then take it out for another minute at a time until the temps reach 140*. This will be close to your maximum run time with that setup. Get in the habit of measuring the temps after each run - in the summer you will probably need to prop down, or run for a shorter time.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I'm not sure how to post a question on this site yet I'm trying to get help with my UL 19 I replaced the motor with a TP CM 4030 and now it cuts on and off going off is because the motor is 140 amp in the stock vs season 120 amp?

Quote Originally Posted by Toddly View Post
    I'm not sure how to post a question on this site yet I'm trying to get help with my UL 19 I replaced the motor with a TP CM 4030 and now it cuts on and off going off is because the motor is 140 amp in the stock vs season 120 amp?
    I posted an answer to your original post. Check back there for responses from forum members.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Default Pick your fast boat brains

I am new to the fast boats. I have run my pro boat shockwave 26 for over 15 years.( maybe 25 miles an hour) recently ordered a Traxxas spartan 36 with the 6S batteries. Also ordered a pro boat sonic wake 36 without batteries. I plan on breaking myself in on the self righting pro boat and would appreciate any input on which battery/charger combo to get for the pro boat.