Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Florida FE SunshineNationals Marrch 7-8, 2020 Brandon FL (classes & info)

I spent the first 50 years of my life in Minnesota so I know a March break in Florida cures cabin fever and shortens the long winter. I hope to reciprocate and make a MMEU summer race one of these days. Maybe we need a traveling trophy aka "little brown jug". My wife has uncles and cousins in the Milford area.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Milford is close to our race. At the lodge you can tent even.

We have the Michigan Cup. The deal is that if you win that yer aspoata come back to defend it. That's a tough bugger to win. 3 man teams covering 9 separate classes. Took me 15+ years and raising a ringer to win it. haha

We can talk in some in March about guys coming up if they are so inclined. That's always a fun gig too.
    Noisy person

Here are some photos of the Brandon site I took over the weekend at the Nitro Champs.
    IMG_0433.JPGIMG_0432.JPGIMG_0431.JPGIMG_0430.JPG
    This is the drivers stand and hot pits

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

More from the pit area
    IMG_0429.JPGIMG_0424.JPGIMG_0423.JPGIMG_0421.JPGIMG_0420.JPG
    The last two pics are from across the soccer field which we cannot drive on. There is a driving lane along the row of RV's. After unloading trailers cars and trucks park at the south parking area with the exception of handicapped stickers. We are now 7 weeks until racing so sign up early so we can decide what classes will run. REMEMBER 4 BOATS to qualify a class.
    https://www.rcracingevents.com/cgi-bin/rcrev.pl
    Last edited by HTVboats; 01-20-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

I’ll be getting my son and I signed up tonight

Great looking site fellas. Ty and I watched some of Phil's video from the weekend. Looks great.

Gett'n all our poop in a group. Still building boats unfortunately but close.
    Noisy person

As of today we have 20 drivers and 75 boats entered. I am pleasantly surprised to see P/lmtd Hydro and Sport Hydro already qualified with 5 & 6 boats respectively. These are not classes we run in our district regularly. Remember 4 boats needed to qualify the class. I opened up the mail In option so you can get on the list early and others can see what will run. I am sure as with most races the majority will wait until the last moment. The fall race tripled in the last weekend. 6 more weekends to get ready, then it's GAME ON!

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Sweet!

Need more P sport and P mono. P Sport looks like an MMEU Club race at the moment. Surely there are more down that way.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by HTVboats View Post
    New name more glory. This is a drivers event. Fee's and awards minimal 1-3rd with B&C winners. All sponsorship goes back to a contestant only random drawing. Everyone will take home something. I will start a separate thread listing prizes and sponsors.
    Pit setup and open water Friday (6th) with 2 rounds Saturday and 3rd round Sunday with a Championship 4th round for classes over 7 entries. 1-6th place (8 or more boats) 7th-12th place B-main (15 or more boats) 13-18th-C main classes over 30 boats.
    200 boat limit, 4 boat minimum to make a class. (bear in mind not all classes will fill out) Registration should be open 12/3/19 on RCRacingEvents https://www.rcracingevents.com/cgi-bin/browseraces.pl

Classes:
    P/limited (36X60 motors)
    P/L Mono
    P/L Catamaran
    P/L Hydro
    P/L Sport Hydro
    P/L OB Tunnel
    P/L Offshore (long Course TBD)
    P Mono
    P Catamaran (Cat & Mono combined if either is short entries)
    P Hydro
    P Sport Hydro (combined with P Hydro if less than 4 boats)
    Q Mono
    Q Catamaran (Cat & Mono combined if either is short entries)
    1/10th Scale Hydro
    Open Hydro
    Open NON Hydro (Cat-Mono-Tunnel)
    Local Classes;
    P Jersey Skiff (40.99 X 75.99mmotor limit)
    Q/limited (non hydro) 4-6s Single motor, no length limit. (40.99 X 75.99mm motor limit)
    3S-29 Hydro: 3 cell 29mm single motor. No length limit boat or motor

A lot of heats and classes for everyone, we will see what shows up.
    Mic Halbrehder: race chairman
    The page is down for sign in

RCRacingevents is back online this morning.

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

IMPORTANT NEWS for contestants. There has been discussion on the format and running half the classes on Saturday and the rest on Sunday. We will run this format. The obvious split will be the larger classes and final decisions made on class order will be made Monday February 10th two weeks before the entry cutoff. (only 2 weeks away)
    Example P/limited Cat and Mono separate days, then probably P/lim and full "P" hydro and sport hydro separate days. I am sure we will get many opinions but we have to keep the numbers and heats so we can finish all classes. Weather can be a factor so we will run as many heats as we can on Saturday to get ahead of the game. The drivers prize raffle will be held on Saturday following racing. Also daylight savings is that weekend.
    Mic
    Last edited by HTVboats; 02-06-2020 at 09:05 AM.

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Mic, sorry I didn't get back to you. Just getting back on my feet again. I keep telling people I have sars or something. Worst one in years.

Splits work pretty well. Batteries that ran in limited cat might also run a limited mono. Instead of charging for every round of limited mono you end up charging once or twice because the cells overlap.

Limited mono with a quick motor swap back at the hotel makes a nice P mono the next day. I planned to run my limited sport in P sport with no motor swap. Given the split I'll do it different. More diameter for P. Doesn't always work out obviously but it can.

The best part about is for guys that run a lot of classes. They don't have to actually manage as many boats in a day. Like you twang the rudder on your P sport or something and there's no time to work on it because you have 5 or more additional boats to deal with. These guys drive me crazy because they need lots and lots of pit help and are never......no not never, that's not far......they're less often...... available when you need help because they're buried in heats.

Most FE guys are used to the split days BUT most FE travelers are also used to "when in Rome" too. Just saying, do what you guys do. Don't worry about us. We'll make it work no matter which way you do it. Split. No split. For us MI guys, we've done so many mixed races that we're used to the continuous multi-day schedule. I do hereby solemnly promise to have fun no matter what.
    Noisy person

Hi Mic,
    As we spoke on the phone, Fede and I can now race on that Sunday,
    as I still must work Saturday at the Nuke plant. As soon as you
    list the Sunday Vs Saturday classes we will both sign up. Makes no
    real difference to me what classes run either day. I pretty much have
    boats for every class. Excited now to get the season rolling a bit earlier
    than expected. Look forward to seeing everyone at Brandon.
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

great to hear that you and Fede will be there again Ken

If you guys want help with a scoring program, let me know. I've been using an excel sheet for "shoot out" formats for several years now and can set one up for you. first round would be random draw from rcracingevents the remaining rounds would be determined once the 1st round is over for each class. just need a computer and printer.
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

Thank you Tom for the scoring offer. RCRacings program works for what were doing. That brings up "Shootout format" which there is not really a standard format. Some scramble drivers between heats. Others do a 6 boat winner take all format and then a two heat final.
    What we are doing for this race is 3 rounds with the normal computer scramble. Depending on scratched boats we will combine to avoid 2 and 3 boat heats. The 4th final round is the top 6 boats in each class. Polnts earned in the first 3 rounds are retained and brought forward to the final total so 3 wins and 1200 points might guarantee a championship, or not. For the larger classes we will have consolation rounds for example boats placed 7-12 kind of like a B-C main but not bumping up liker cars. Give guys who ran with a lot of competition to compete with piers who also drove well.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

IMPORTANT NEWS.

The classes running on Saturday March 7th will be
    P/Limited Mono
    P Hydro
    P/Limited Sport Hydro
    Q/Limited
    Q Cat
    P/Limited Offshore
    3S29 Hydro
    Jersey Skiff
    P/Limited Outboard Tunnel

On Sunday the 8th the classes will be:
    P/Limited Cat
    Open Hydro
    P Mono
    P/Limited Hydro
    P Sport Hydro
    Q Mono
    P Catamaran

This will not be the exact running order as that will be determined after the cutoff deadline in two weeks. One class may be shifted to even out the numbers each day. Registration closes 2 weeks from today
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

sounds good
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

If anyone wants to add a class or make changes contact me or just enter again and use a nickname or misspell you name by one letter and the program will not see you as already registered.
    Mic htv1414@aol.com

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

38 racers! Sweet
    Noisy person

40 drivers and 140 boats and "4" days left to enter. Some serious competition and large classes. Truly bragging rights for the 2020 season!
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

158 boats and registration closes today at midnight. If you are already registered and need to make changes we will do them as we set up the heats. Just send me a note or text. Looks like 60+ heats each day.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Well over a foot of snow last night !!
    I'm up to here with that BS.
    The sight looks great, lots of racer's …… This is going to be good !!
    Jay.

The weather looks like sunny and low 70's next weekend and overnight lows in the 50's.
    Printed the heat sheets today for 3 rounds, and Saturday 1-48 and Sunday 49-102. Add the 4th round for top 6 that's 57 heats on Saturday and 63 on Sunday. (P/Lim CAT and MONO, + P Mono have a consolation heats for 7-12th place)
    We will raffle off all the under $50 prizes on Saturday so if you won't be there designate someone to pick for you. Sunday the $50 and over prizes will be drawn for between round 3 and the finals. All paid contestants are in the drawing and the deck will be reshuffled on Sunday.
    Mic
    Last edited by HTVboats; 02-28-2020 at 05:24 AM.

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

looking forward to it. Thanks Mic
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Bunch of new faces, mild weather, playing with toy boats.......how much better can it get?

Our whole fleet is assembled for destruction.....er.....I mean......fer race'n.
    Noisy person

When are y'all heading down there Terry? We are leaving Thursday morning. Kathy and I might meet up with yall on I75 and we can eat somewhere.

Tom, Tyler, and I are heading south Thursday morning maybe 6:30 or 7:00 from here. We rented a room just off the freeway in Macon, GA. Probably make that around 8pm......ish. Just fer the night. Then we'll finish out the drive Friday morning.

Kevin and Larry are flying in Thursday I think. Not sure what Bob's travel plans are exactly. I know he and Mark are driving together.

Be great to see ya Don. Hope we end up pitting near you. Always fun with the Huff family around. We can tell lies about fast we once were. Shoulda brought one of them brat kids of yers along too.
    Noisy person

Well, I'll be way south of ya by the time ya'll get to Macon. We are heading out Thursday morning too. We have relatives in Tampa, and hope to get with them Thursday evening.

I Tried to get the kids to come, but you know I can't get Lamar to go anywhere and he for danged sure would't got that far to an all FE race. Scott started a handyman like business in Charlotte, so he's always busy. And Carey was with us at a race in south Georgia last weekend, so he doesn't want to be away from his brewery to much.

But I will have my favorite pit person/ battery charging foreman, Kathy, with me. And if you want some "spirited" conversation, talk to her and start bad mouthing me, and you'll probably get all the high pitch talk that you want! But be prepared to duck, cause she might take a swing at you.

Don, I must not know you well. I can't think of much to bad mouth you for. Maybe producing the yellow wall. Pain in the a$$. Every time I bug Lamar about the Cup race he says "been think'n about it". Yeah, been think'n "that's a long damned ways fer just FE"

Still anxious to see how all this wheel time Tyler is getting with cars translates to boats. Like he needed help. Little punk. Might make him too aggressive. We'll see. He's club racing cars and is currently leading the points in his favorite class. I figured it would be harder for him to get good at it than it's turned out to be. Would you believe that if you crash your car they just flip them back over and keep going? Sissies.
    Noisy person

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast