Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Pearl II Hydro - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Speed810 View Post
    Won’t be able to make it to the May 31 race due to a confliction, but will definitely be there for the June race.
    Gonna be a weird season of racing. Get here when you can.

Interesting I think is that the new boat likes a bit deeper strut than we're accustomed to. Still fiddling with the setup on the LSH version. I haven't started the bigger boat yet. I do like the idea of a Q sized version.
    Noisy person

Don't know if you noticed...but Bucket List Racing has been posting pics of the work being done to the boat they just acquired. Great shots of the under side of the sponsons.

Nice. They sure have some complex geometry! Makes our boat look like a toy!

Yes some very interesting stuff

Did you guys ever figure out what shape turn fin to use. Some turn fins are too aggressive (too much inward angle) and really slow you down in the turns. Here is one Brian Buass made for his rigger kit. His rigger works good with it and not so well with the UL1 turn fin. The mount should be adjustable or bendable to find out what works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Did you guys ever figure out what shape turn fin to use. Some turn fins are too aggressive (too much inward angle) and really slow you down in the turns. Here is one Brian Buass made for his rigger kit. His rigger works good with it and not so well with the UL1 turn fin. The mount should be adjustable or bendable to find out what works.
    Do you by chance have a spare one of these fins?
    Tommy Levescy sponsored by: RCJuice.com, Rawspeed, Scorpion Precision Performance, TC Racing, Triton RC, Oxidean Marine and Cencal Hobbies.
    Current Namba 1mile record holder: Pltd sport hydro 1:19:72 P-sport hydro 1:14:31

We're using the fin that one of our local club members was making. It's the shape that Mojo sells. On my kids P boat we jumped up to a thicker version of that shape. On the small boat it's basically the mojo fin. BTW, the new small boat is scary fast in LSH.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    We're using the fin that one of our local club members was making. It's the shape that Mojo sells. On my kids P boat we jumped up to a thicker version of that shape. On the small boat it's basically the mojo fin. BTW, the new small boat is scary fast in LSH.
    Got video of the small boat?
    Tommy Levescy sponsored by: RCJuice.com, Rawspeed, Scorpion Precision Performance, TC Racing, Triton RC, Oxidean Marine and Cencal Hobbies.
    Current Namba 1mile record holder: Pltd sport hydro 1:19:72 P-sport hydro 1:14:31

This was early on. Its running better now. Maybe this weekend I can get fresh video.

https://youtu.be/fabcwbWEi0c
    Noisy person

Hi Shooter Darryl here , remember this one V.1https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=170183&d=1594954137&th umb=1&stc=1 can you tell me COG or the balance point is plz
    Im going to Nitro this one

No kidding. That's a sweet idea. I'll get it for you.
    Noisy person

Just checked. We're about 1" behind the sponson transoms.
    Noisy person

Thanks T.S .Davis. this will help a lot CMB beta evo will be its heart, Also , Shooter what is the price on a new Blk P , kit ? you have a great design , Love your first one . Darryl

Daryl! Of course I remember! You were one of the pioneers. I've learned a lot since then. Haha.

Default Another v10

Finally got around to clear coating the boat.

Make sure you reinforce the joint where the belly skin meets the half round at the nose. This is true for ML Boatworks builds too. Their tough as nails at first but the bouncing up and down of the cells laying therein the tub will eventually cause that front joint to fail. It's happened on both Pearls and the ML boats. I add wood blocking the entire width inside and then a layer of glass outside. Both boats need attention in the spot.
    Noisy person

Default Black pearl

Oh yeah definitely not new to reinforcements lol. I added 1/ stock top and bottom in that nose area before the skins went on plus I've still not built up the floor yet where the batterys will be and everything I build is with thickened Wes systems 209 super slow cure.

The floor load was actually the reason I didn't split the bottom skin and did it one piece with just a 1/4 inch filler strip up against the inside of the sponson

Wow! Nice job! That clear went on real nice. What clearcote and paint did you use? Is that all paint or did you clear over vinyl? Good idea with the floor. I was wondering what that little strip was, but then realized it was all one piece. Both my boats (LSH and P) are painted. I just need to put them back together.

We just finished our season yesterday. Tyler finished about a skillion points ahead in P sport. Not sure on limited though. I think Ty may have squeaked on to the podium there with the new design. We struggled the first few races getting the setups sorted. They're really solid now.

I'm going to get started on the larger version of the new design next.
    Noisy person

The green is base coat laid on fairly heavy so I could wet sand it before clearing. The constant tape pulling is tough on paint so around the tape area gets a lower grit then normal. The black is just vinyl pin stripe then the final is two part Evercoat urethane clear.

Nice. I've been hooked on Klasscote, but the color selections are limited. I've been sanding with 1000, 1500, 2000, then wheeling with 3M finesse, but it's a lot of work. Did you wheel the clear, or is that just as sprayed?

That's untouched no wet sand or buffing. Sometimes you get lucky and it comes out decent. I've had my fair share of light spots runs bugs dirt you name it lol painting outside is tough enough never mind the spraying with all the different angles and edges.

Pete, Klasskote will a mix a color for you. All of Ty's boats are Behr Aztec Blue. Go to the Depot, pick a color from the Behr swatches. Then give Klasskote the Behr data. Super easy. Costs a little extra but not like tons more. Klasscote is tough as nails.
    Noisy person

I forgot about that! I had him mix me that custom pink paint for the panther!

What's going on...is this thread dead?

Still guys fiddling with these.20210301_095610.jpg
    Noisy person

It's been slow going lately. I haven't been able to use the laser cutter at the shop, so I've had to outsource and it is extremely expensive. I did end up drafting up a new boat for 2021. It has a slightly wider packaging area to accommodate wider ESC's. Both Terry and I are building one (see photo below). I also drafted up a low profile "stealth" version. The wood for this one will be arriving soon. I'm really excited about this one. It could be a flop, but it will look cool as hell.

Hey guys,

I haven't had a whole lot of hobby time lately. Finally finished the 'stealth' version of the Black Pearl. The hull is the slimmest design yet. It is very low profile. Not much air under the hull and the kick-up is very late. It still has the T. Davis sponson design, but the ride pads run continuous all the way up to the deck (they do not curve in).

I also made up a new cowl. I don't have access to CNC equipment anymore, so it was essentially carved out of a block of wood. The mold is still a mess and needs a lot of work, but the first couple pulls looked decent enough to use. It's a single piece. No obnoxious nose cone! I think that was the biggest complaint I had gotten from everyone. It's tough to make it resemble an H350 without the nose extending though, so I cut it short, and tried to give the illusion that the nose continues.

I ran it last Saturday. It had a hop at mid speed, but smoothed out at full throttle. Turned well. Terry thought a prop with less lift would help it. I later found that my CG was way too far forward. Hopefully will be able to test more soon! Was running the 2400KV motor and H5 prop. This set-up had my last boat in the 71mph range.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Hey guys,

I haven't had a whole lot of hobby time lately. Finally finished the 'stealth' version of the Black Pearl. The hull is the slimmest design yet. It is very low profile. Not much air under the hull and the kick-up is very late. It still has the T. Davis sponson design, but the ride pads run continuous all the way up to the deck (they do not curve in).

I also made up a new cowl. I don't have access to CNC equipment anymore, so it was essentially carved out of a block of wood. The mold is still a mess and needs a lot of work, but the first couple pulls looked decent enough to use. It's a single piece. No obnoxious nose cone! I think that was the biggest complaint I had gotten from everyone. It's tough to make it resemble an H350 without the nose extending though, so I cut it short, and tried to give the illusion that the nose continues.

I ran it last Saturday. It had a hop at mid speed, but smoothed out at full throttle. Turned well. Terry thought a prop with less lift would help it. I later found that my CG was way too far forward. Hopefully will be able to test more soon! Was running the 2400KV motor and H5 prop. This set-up had my last boat in the 71mph range.
    If you have the new cowl designed in Fusion360 or some other 3d CAD program I could 3d print it for you and you could use that for your mold or to make a mold from. That's how Ramy RC makes the molds for his airplanes.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast