Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Pearl II Hydro - 2020

Hi guys,

I received a slew of orders this week. I only have so many cowls, so first come first serve. PM me if interested.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pete, Tyler cleaned up in all of our sport hydro classes over the weekend. Pearls for the win! His P Pearl would have smoked the Q boats easily.

I just about have my new boat ciphered too. I have it running right. Multiple set up issues I did too it. DOH! Just need to find the sweet combo for it.
    Noisy person

That is awesome Terry. I'm glad Tyler hasn't become bored with boats since he is now an RC buggy track record holding savage!! My latest boat is done. Just finished painting. I'm getting it back together this week and hopefully will be at the next practice.

Well, that was quick! I'm out of cowls again. Hope to pull some this weekend if I get some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    RC buggy track record holding savage!!
    Tough to keep him off the track. It costs him about $45 in gas to run to Dirtburners for a three heat round. Not happening. RC One is closed for the season. It's back to carpet at Larry's. So he's down to cars once a week and boats twice a week. Unless there's a race he can hit. Sounds horrible for him.
    Noisy person

Chip is back in the building. Finally got some paint on my limited boat. Things move a lot slower these days.

Looking good.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I run the tiny Castle for spite. Some like to imply that I use amps to go fast.
    🤣 How many amps can possibly fit in there?

Source for the GRP skin and mahogany sticks?

Happy Father's Day Guys! Had the boat out yesterday. First time to the pond this year.

Oh, and Terry was running 11s laps.

Here's a video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiWbv6ipGaY

Oh, and Terry was running 11s laps.

Here's a video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiWbv6ipGaY
    Nice!

Larry

What turn fin are you guys using with the Pearl?

Quote Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
    What turn fin are you guys using with the Pearl?
    Mojo turn fin.

Pete, ever have one trip and stuff? I'm going to have to study this version 11. With fat CNHL 4000's it was cook'n but was coming in at about 15%. Little close. Cells were less than pleased. Jumped to a Roaring Top 5000 and turned Tyler loose with it Sunday. Stuffing like crazy if he even blips the throttle. I'm not sure if it's just weight or cg shift. Super sensitive. Plunged half way to the bottom of our puddle. He was down long enough for the 2nd place boat to pass over him.

I'll do some careful measuring and let you know what I'm seeing.
    Noisy person

Thank you. I bought one a while back but I think I got it before they were making the current one listed for Sport 20. It seems bigger and thicker. Guess I'll order the Sport 20 one and see. Thanks!

So finally got to do some test run on my p sport. But on last run I blew off and cracked the front deck. It run great on H7 prop. I was just pushing it too hard and trying to see what the limits were. I think also going to be ditching the castle Phoenix esc for castle x8.
    So I need to fix that when I back from vacation.

Nice Eric, thanks for the update.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
    So finally got to do some test run on my p sport. But on last run I blew off and cracked the front deck. It run great on H7 prop. I was just pushing it too hard and trying to see what the limits were. I think also going to be ditching the castle Phoenix esc for castle x8.

What motor?
    Tommy Levescy sponsored by: RCJuice.com, Rawspeed, Scorpion Precision Performance, TC Racing, Triton RC, Oxidean Marine and Cencal Hobbies.
    Current Namba 1mile record holder: Pltd sport hydro 1:19:72 P-sport hydro 1:14:31

Quote Originally Posted by Namba328 View Post
    What motor?
    TP4050 2100kv

Hi guys. It's been awhile since I checked in here.

Terry, I assume you have all of the 'stuffing' issues corrected?! I never had that problem. In fact, just the opposite....mine kind of hovers. I really do think it has a lot to do with the canopy. Someone put that in my head. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ssnN1Und0

Oh no Eric, where did it crack? That boat was built like a tank.

It's a weight problem. Running half throttle and squeezing the trigger for bursts was the trick as it was. Kind of annoying that way. You're always expecting it to stuff. As tough as the G10 is it makes a fatty. We put it on a diet. Dropped down to a 4060 and some lighter batteries. Runs less like a dragster now. It's still nutty fast. I let Tyler race it since his exploded last month. I can hardly watch. If there was a real driver on board he would be reaching out to flick the buoys on the way by. It's a bit unnerving. There's more in it but we can't think of a reason to go any faster. Just a tiny bit of porpoise to work out.

BTW......I'm changing my LSH version. I'll keep ya posted. Adjustments to make it more like Ty's which I think is a V11?
    Noisy person

Hi guys. It's been awhile since I checked in here.

Terry, I assume you have all of the 'stuffing' issues corrected?! I never had that problem. In fact, just the opposite....mine kind of hovers. I really do think it has a lot to do with the canopy. Someone put that in my head. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ssnN1Und0

Oh no Eric, where did it crack? That boat was built like a tank.
    Where the 2 black lines are is were it cracked. Totally fixable. Sorry Pete I don?t have any actual pictures of the crack, I?m on vacation up in Mackinac island. I will get some later on this week.

Eric - ahhh...OK. So the crack is probably just at the decking seams. No biggie!

Terry - Curious to see the updates to make it more like Tyler's!

Just if anyone is curious (maybe 1 or 2 people on earth, counting myself?), here are my update notes for V10.9 thru V12. The major difference is the ride height. Reduced by 7mm in V12!

Ver10.9
    >Added 16mm to tubwidth. Original was too narrow for packaging. End results is narrower air bleeds.
    **********21Jan2021**************************
    >Moved motor mount towards trans by 25mm. Tubwall and Tuball finger A WAS: 110, IS: 135
    >trimmed off 1.8mm from top of frame 9 (motor mount) since it was moved back.
    **********08Mar2021*************************
    >Updated deck skin (increased 3mm to hang over nose)
    >Added skin assembly for 48" sheet

Ver11
    >Reduced outer sidewall height of sponsons by changing frame 8 angle from 1.5 to 2.5.
    >All lateral slots were lowered to accomdate frame 8 above.
    >spon former angle was changed from 45 to 40deg.

Ver12
    >Updated kick-up angle to spline, airfoil
    >Increased inlet 7mm taller.
    >Decreased ride height by 7mm.

I'm really digging Bob's new paint job!!

>Decreased ride height by 7mm.
    I don't like it. Added 4.76mm back to it without adjusting AOA. Runs the way I like it now. Free as a bird. Turns angry.

We're getting really close on the wide body 11. Giving it a bit more weight reduction with lighter batteries. Grams here......grams there......they all count. Runs killer in chop but has a tiny hop on glass. We can live with that when the times are under 11 for 6. Has to be around 80 now.

Ty still isn't happy because if you let off for a millisecond to correct course it can ride the prop and stuff. He wants them to all be as smooth as his Xray's. I have another prop in the works that may take it to another level.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by eric113 View Post

Nice work! How do you like those motor coolers? I think thy are quite cool.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Nice work! How do you like those motor coolers? I think thy are quite cool.
    I like them. I tend like longer cans that cover most the motor for max cooling. This one been modified for fittings to clear my canopy.

I saw that mod.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Pete
    I sent you a PM

Larry

Our club has four version 12 and we all have the same problem Boat won’t stay on the water. The boats are all set up as spec LSH. my boat runs between 70 and 72 but I prop it down to 68 just the try to stay on the water. i’ve added over 6 ounces of lead and drop the strut. I really like this boat but you have to finish. I think it packs too much air and I think the tub needs to be narrowed. This winter I’m gonna order another kit and change things up. Like I said this boat has a Lotta potential to be good. Remember there’s a big difference between running by yourself or five other boats

I agree. Boats need to finish. Ironically, that is why this hull was born. Everyone was upside down after the first turn and we were only doing 50mph! It was aggravating. So we built a bigger boat that packed less air and would'ya believe it....we are right back to where we were (upside down), but now we are 20mph faster!

Some things that I can think of that might help if the boat is blowing off...

1. Assuming the boat is balanced correctly (cg), then it really just comes down to either slowing down (that's no fun), adding weight at the cg to counteract the air pressure building up below, or adding wider air bleeds which somewhat loses the "spirit of sport hydro" and looks more like a rigger. 70mph is awfully fast for an LSH?!?! That's a lot of pressure underneath to counteract, and I'm guessing folks are trying to build light with minimal mah on board. Just for reference, my P-Sport in the mid 70's RTR weighs 8lb4oz (includes 5oz added at the cg).

2. Everyone seems to be running bubble tops. From my testing, the stock canopy seems to provide an additional protection for blow-off. It's also very light in the right place (high on the hull).

3. Most of my testing was done with a lifting prop. Seems everyone is running low lift props.

I don't know. Just some thoughts!

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast