Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Black Pearl II Hydro - 2020

For a “non-budget” pack SMC seems like a contender; however, I’ve only run them a handful of times.

Didn’t mean to hijack this thread Terry.

Soooooo…… when and where can we buy these BP hydros?? Are they ready for sale???

Quote Originally Posted by jingalls007 View Post
    Soooooo…… when and where can we buy these BP hydros?? Are they ready for sale???
    Message the OP Shooter for kits.

I weighed a Pv12 parts pile 24.03oz. Will weigh again after framing and painting to see how much the epoxy and primer/paint steps add for weight.

That sounds great. If I were to guess I've used approx. an ounce by weight so far and I still need to seal it inside and deck it up
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by jingalls007 View Post
    Didn’t mean to hijack this thread Terry.
    Hahaha Nobody cares. This thread is already three years old anyway. I feel sorry for anyone reading from page one. Yikes.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Hahaha Nobody cares. This thread is already three years old anyway. I feel sorry for anyone reading from page one. Yikes.
    Haha!

New laser cut motor plates for Black Pearl Hydroplanes available from Mojo Racing Products. 1/8" thick 6061-T6 plate is rigid and makes a great additional heat sink for your motor! Made from Pete's CAD for a perfect fit in your boat. Mounting holes for #8 fasteners to the frame. Available in P-Sport and P-Limited sizes for V12+ boat kits. Hit the easy button for your motor plate! $7.99 each at mojoracingproducts.com Link to Mojo Racing Hardware Page

P1080852.jpg
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212
    2022 NAMBA Nationals FE High Points Champion
    Owner www.mojoracingproducts.comTeam Driver: Black Pearl Hydroplanes

Those are great mounts! Thanks Bob!!

Have you guys checked out James's new boat? Factory fit and finish! Stock cowl! Stock sponson geometry! Nice job James!

When I formed that cowling, I wanted it to give the illusion that the nose was extending past the leading edge, while still having a flat tape surface all around. I know there are haters, but I still think it looks great. .....and keep in mind the current P-Sport Nat champ was won with stock trim and cowl.

He did a nice job on his boat and add I’m liking how the V12 stock cowling looks on the boat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Those are great mounts! Thanks Bob!!

Have you guys checked out James's new boat? Factory fit and finish! Stock cowl! Stock sponson geometry! Nice job James!

When I formed that cowling, I wanted it to give the illusion that the nose was extending past the leading edge, while still having a flat tape surface all around. I know there are haters, but I still think it looks great. .....and keep in mind the current P-Sport Nat champ was won with stock trim and cowl.
    Thanks Shooter, I really appreciate it. I didnt know the Nat champ was with this cowl. I like the aggressive forward look all around. I also really like the Black Pearl race logo.

The Black Pearls seem to like the downforce of the stock cowl.
    Bob Zola NAMBA 212
    2022 NAMBA Nationals FE High Points Champion
    Owner www.mojoracingproducts.comTeam Driver: Black Pearl Hydroplanes

Ty's new boat has stock sponsons. We'll see.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanj View Post
    He did a nice job on his boat and add I’m liking how the V12 stock cowling looks on the boat as well.
    Thanks Ryanj!

There's something about the aerodynamics of that cowl. I noticed it right away with the V12 version. The boat floated and recovered rather than blowing off. It's also super light weight. The last thing you want in a turn is to be heavy on top.

Congrats to Bob!! IMPBA National Champ! P-Limited Sport Hydro. Atlanta, Georgia. Cheers from the "Chasing Booty Race Team" back home!

Where exactly do I mount the rudder on this Hydro? A whiplash is easy since it has he rudder on the edge of the upper tub.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Where exactly do I mount the rudder on this Hydro? A whiplash is easy since it has he rudder on the edge of the upper tub.
    Ray
    As far to the left as you can, so your rudder mounting bolts are on the inside of the front to back (inside) bulkhead.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Than you kindly sir! The pictures help a lot.

Including the one you are working on right now, how many have you built?
    Nortavlag Bulc

This will be my #14 Wood Sport Hydro.

Larry

How much weight does the turn fin actually see in a turn?
    Nortavlag Bulc

HA! I made a spread sheet for this.

Number of factors to consider. Speed, weight of boat, then diameter of the turn. With that you can come up with G force. That math assumes a perfect world though. There were too many missing pieces in my formula. You enter at say 70 mph. Apex at 45? Not sure. Then......how much actual slide happens with the fin. Sorta like prop efficiency. Props don't give us 100% grip on the water they pass through. Same with a fin. You may do a 40' radius turn but the speed changes through the whole thing.

If you turned a perfect 40' radius at 60 mph..............you end up at 2.81G. That weight is hanging/sliding on the fin and the rudder......sorta? There's also the angle of the fin. The shape of the hook. Is the hook lifting in the turn or pressing into the ride pads? Are the sponson edges doing anything? Depends on that lift again.

Clear as mud.

There's likely a way to figure it out but I quit farting with it. Figured I'd burned enough brain cells on it.
    Noisy person

Now how about the rudder that keeps bending after running.

Jeese... ask a simple question.... lol...

I'm just going to copy this. https://www.mojoracingproducts.com/c...rt-hydroplanes I don't want to bother with an adjusting rod like Larry and some others use... I have some 1/4" material but the buggers cut it 1-1/4" high so I have some material to remove the hard way...
    Nortavlag Bulc

You can use a version of the pictured system to hold the turn fin straight. That's what I'm using on my Black Pearl.

Lohring Miller

Anderson Sp 40 rt side 2003.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    You can use a version of the pictured system to hold the turn fin straight. That's what I'm using on my Black Pearl.

Lohring Miller

Lohring - your picture is not a Black Pearl.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post

Lohring Miller

Larry does it in a similar way. I'm not sure I'm into breaching the hull there. What if the rod starts turning instead of adjusting? I need a diagram or something to understand how that rod stays put when you try to adjust it.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Lohring - your picture is not a Black Pearl.

Larry
    The picture is of an experimental Mark Anderson sport 40. I don't have a picture of my Black Pearl but this is a similar size boat. I anchored the hull end that goes into a blind nut with a lock nut that keeps the threaded rod from turning. Two nuts on either side of the turn fin end allow adjustment and can be locked against each other. You can see the hull side lock nut and the outside adjusting nut in the picture.

Lohring Miller

Thank you. Last question. Is the blink nut and a lock nut on the inside of the hull ?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Thank you. Last question. Is the blink nut and a lock nut on the inside of the hull ?
    I don't remember, but I don't think so. Maybe the only lock was the two nuts on the turn fin end. Below is the setup on my Mutt sport 40 and Black Pearl. I used a threaded rod into half of a turnbuckle. The hull end goes into a threaded insert with a lock nut. The turnbuckle has a lock nut on one end and a 2-56 tapped cap screw holding the eye into the turn fin bracket. The sport 40 picture I posted is a simpler system.

Lohring Miller

P1010006.jpg

O.k. thanks I got it now. I was also talking to Larry yesterday and he explained a lot.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I haven't bothered with trailing edge fin support on a P boat. I did do it on my Q whip though. The one with no transom has a support at the end of the turn fin. I put a piece of aluminum backing inside. Drilled and tapped the aluminum through the hull. Bullet proof......until the deck rips off of course.
    Noisy person

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast