Thread: Paint help

Default Paint help

Morning gents. I'm in the process of painting my Cheetah hull. There was a slight runoff on two small sections. The paint is Krylon satin bright white. I wet sanded the areas smooth but the satin lost its shine in those areas. Can I go ahead and continue with striping and adding colors then clear or do I need to repaint those areas?

Thank you all!

what grit did you wet-sand up to? If you wet sand up to 800 or 1000 I would say go for it and get the striping and clear done shouldnt hurt

I wet sanded lightly with 800 grit. My concern is the base lost the shine in those areas. Thank you for replying sir!

If you’re concerned I would wipe it down real good with some degreaser and then lightly mist that spot again to give it that shine back

Yeah, think I'll do that. Thank you 😊

Here she is. Decided to try a color shift paint called purple sunset. This is my first time painting a boat and a last minute idea on the masking tape caused a small blob in the front corners but I can fix it. What yall think? She is almost ready for window, decals and clear.

20191125_190235.jpg
    20191125_200628.jpg
    20191125_200730.jpg

I'm in need of some advice. I painted the above using krylon fusion in satin bright white and used the testors color shift to make the stripe. According to Testors/dustoleum its a oil based product. Should I use the krylon triple thick glaze and clear on it, a rustoleum clear or another brand? I just dont want the paint to wrinkle. Im going on a trip and letting it cure for a week or so before applying the clear etc.

Oh, here she is with the new decals on before I clear in a week.
    Attachment 167175

Well i would definitely use a clear that is recommended for the base color...if it's oil base you can't use a lacquer base clear...it will wrinkle.... Rustoleum...?

Yeah, apparently rustoleum is oil based where the clear for krylon is lacquer

Good luck with it !! Let us know how it turns out.. Happy Holiday's...

Happy Holidays to you all and wilco!

Here she is with decals, will clear her on monday.
    20191126_192244.jpg

Lookin good !!!

Looks fabulous. Which clear are you going with? Just a suggestion, DO NOT USE UPOL CLEAR#1!!! Well... not without testing on the Testors paint. Many have used the 2k clear (I can’t remember manufacturers). It is a two part spray. I have two cans of it but haven’t used it yet.

I may use the 2k maxx or the Rustoleum triple thick then clear since they are oil based enamel vrs the Krylon. The fusion stuff is oil based but their clear stuff has lacquer.