I am building a DIY electric surfboard and have found a few threads on the subject, but I first want to understand what the best approach is to the powertrain. I would like to achieve 10-15mph hauling a weight of about 150lbs. For obvious safety reasons, I need to use a jet thruster and not an open propeller.

In this application (slow speed, large weight), I am assuming I need higher torque, larger prop, and lower RPM to maximize low speed thrust? Some other people are using smaller dual motors, but I want to keep it a single powertrain.

Since this is just experimental, I?m trying to keep it cheep so a Jet 52 MHZ Scorpion would be just too expensive, although a perfect solution. To best emulate that setup, I?m looking at either the Turnigy AquaStar T20 3T at 128amps or the smaller Turnigy AquaStar 4084-620KV at 106amps. They do have a higher KV version (1050KV), but I think the higher torque version would be better. What do you think of this approach?

What thruster and propeller would you use with these motors to maximize low speed thrust?