Thread: Getting back into boating - questions please.

Default Getting back into boating - questions please.

I ran and designed nitro hydros for long time. Gave it up some years ago. I want to get back into boats but not as deeply as before. I'm going electric. Going to build a sport style hydro about 33 in..
    I know that asking opinions on products gets mixed answers,.. but if I can get some general feedback on this set up and components,. I would appreciate it.

Delta force vortex 34 hull
    leopard 4082 1800kv
    Seaking 180 esc
    speed master running hardware
    2 3s batteries 5000mA 50-70C - 2 batteries in series

What class would this run in? I can do a good hull setup. Would this be a competitive combination? I was reading about kv,. I think it's a thing where lower KV motor u would use a larger prop, high KV = hi rpm and lower torque = smaller prop. Is this true? 1800 is about middle of the road,.. good selection?
    Would this setup be considered high power for this hull? I like a slightly over powered setup,.

and how do I run a BEC with 2 lypo packs in series.
    Last edited by Tony Marquart; 11-01-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Tony,

If your looking to run 6S voltage do yourself a favor and get the following

*Phil Thomas's SS45 (Sport 40 hulls)
    *leopard 4092 1370KV
    *Seaking 180
    *Speeedmaster hardware
    *2x 6S 3300mah and run them in parallel
    *start with an octura X450/2 and you will probably find yourself with an X450/3, X452/2, or maybe an X455/2 depending on heat.

Phil's hull is going to be a much better performer than the Delta Force. This set up will allow you to race in Q sport hydro (if you can find others)

Where abouts are you? If you are in America that would be in the Q sport Hydro class, but the hull is too small to be competitive in it unless the conditions are perfect and you manage to get out in front and stay there, the wash from the bigger boats will make overtaking nearly impossible and it wont handle typical water conditions as well as the bigger boats. P sport Hydro is for 4s boats with a maximum length of 34", I think you would be much better off running 4s in it if you want to race in America.

That is broadly correct about the KVs, low KV=big prop high KV= small prop. I could debunk the torque part, but it is probably not worth the potential confusion to a newcomer.

I would say that 1500KV is middle of the road for 6s, While not being rediculous 1800kv is definitely on the high end of the reasonable range for 6s. It is higher than I would recommend for a newcomer but you know how to set up a boat already and maybe have a box of props, so you could make it work if you wanted. 1800kv is also the low end of the reasonable range for 4s, so you could use either voltage with a prop change.

The prop you pick will decide the power level, that motor can produce 100w on a small prop, or 10,000w (for a short time) on a big prop. One of the biggest reasons why I recommend Lower KVs for newcomers is that the jump in amp draws when going to the next prop size is smaller with a lower KV.

Most ESCs have a built in BEC, but if you want to use one that doesnt, simply solder the BECs input wires to the ESCs input wires.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Hi Tony,

I have to agree with Mike and Paul ; The Delta Vortex 34 on 6S [Q Sport Hydro in NAMBA] would be fast but less stable than a 40" 6S full race Sport Hydro like the PT. It could be competitive in NAMBA P-Sport Hydro especially in sloppy water given the other boats PT Stealth, Whiplash, FE30 or others are 30"+/- and fast but potentially flighty in slop.

Your proposed setup would be a very workable 4S setup. Tuning the hull to compensate for a tad too much built-in AoA is achievable (see link)

Here's a build I did for fun (originally intended for a mag article) which gave me a chance to try out the monster 2200KV TP Power 4070 - overkill but couldn't resist The 4060 you mention is just fine for that hull as I see it.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...ight=vortex+34

A vid after some tuning - windy day and mostly at about 60% full throttle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=853-RVqBN74
    Last edited by properchopper; 11-02-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

thanks guys,.. I'm going P hydro. I need to clarify on the motor selection. For P hydro, 4s, 1800kv or 2000kv? or? typical .21 hydro props/ 38-42mm 1.4-16 pitch? x series,.. flat bottom strut would be my preference. regular .21 size hardware?

4s use 2 - 4s 4000 to 5000 mah and a 4082 motor 2000 to 2200 kv. Props are 45 to 47mm. ABC props work best these days. Try 1814, 1815, 1817

Hey Tony, miss seeing that Gas Rigger at Shad's Landing - Big Fun.

Good Luck with electrics.
    AquaCraft UL-1 59mph.
    Motley Crew 61mph.
    JAE 21FE ~~~ 70 MPH Club ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marquart View Post
    I'm going P hydro.
    P hydro or P sport hydro?
    Noisy person

sorry,.. P sport,.. I like the Delta force sport hydro hull. Yeah I know Phil and I know his boats are very very good. But I don't want to spend a year building and painting. Also I can stiffen the hull and get a good setup on the Delta Force I'm sure.. Ill lay some carbon in it,. do some peal and stick graphics,.. set it up and run it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marquart View Post
    sorry,.. P sport,.. I like the Delta force sport hydro hull. Yeah I know Phil and I know his boats are very very good. But I don't want to spend a year building and painting. Also I can stiffen the hull and get a good setup on the Delta Force I'm sure.. Ill lay some carbon in it,. do some peal and stick graphics,.. set it up and run it!
    Tony,

Your going to find that Delta Force hull packs a lot of air. I am afraid you are going to be disappointed.

Hmm,.. designed for lower power motors maybe? HMMM,,.. I like the size.. 34 inch ,..

our club race a few Delta Force monos from the 29 and the 31 inch, both are very competitive with correct c.o.g. balance.

Delta makes killer boats. All of their mono hulls in particular are stellar. That sport is tougher. I've not seen one run where I thought I needed to get one. Not so far at least.

P sport is a tough class to figure out hull wise at the moment. Nobody makes a glass boat that is a nice drop in for the class. For a fast P sport you need to build a kit. Black Pearl, Whiplash 20, ML Boatworks are all competitive. The Whip is a tic smaller and takes a little engineering as it wasn't really designed for FE but those are rock solid too once you get it figured out. None of the glass offerings at the moment are quite there. My opinion at least.
    Noisy person

P "limited" sport is another option. Then you can buy a Thomas Stealth or and Insane FE30 and be in the ballpark.
    Noisy person