Thread: 8mm vs. 10mm ose bullet connectors with 8awg wire

Question 8mm vs. 10mm ose bullet connectors with 8awg wire

Does anyone know if 8 guage wire can be run with the 10mm OSE bullet connectors? I will be running a motor/esc combo which both run 8 AWG wire and could see as much as 300A draw. The 8mm are rated to 200 and 10mm up to 300 which makes me think 10 is what I should run but if 8mm can still likely handle that current I would probably just go with those. So any answers whether that wire could work with 10mm connectors and a grub screw would be greatly appreciated or any answers regarding the 8mm connectors being sufficient.

Ummm, grub screw?? We normally solder the wire into the connector. Which does require a stout solder iron for 10mm connectors.

FYI: I would go with the 10’s over the 8’s for 300 amps

I guess what I meant by grub screw was just to fasten the wire before soldering. And I went with 10mm. Just hoping they work fine with 8 AWG

You can make 4 gauge work . This is 2 8 gauge wires I but to one CC 8mm bullet . I wrap them together with fine copper wire then use a torch to tin them. Sand it round so it fits in the plug and solder the two with a torch. 343EDFE1-8FD1-4ECE-81F2-9409DDA35B45.jpg
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelin View Post
    You can make 4 gauge work . This is 2 8 gauge wires I but to one CC 8mm bullet . I wrap them together with fine copper wire then use a torch to tin them. Sand it round so it fits in the plug and solder the two with a torch. 343EDFE1-8FD1-4ECE-81F2-9409DDA35B45.jpg
    Sanding looks like it makes it the size of a 8 wire no ? I would of just use the 10mm connectors that have a ton of room

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    Sanding looks like it makes it the size of a 8 wire no ? I would of just use the 10mm connectors that have a ton of room
    It actually take less than one minute or less to sand the wire down to fit using my belt sander. I’d love to use 10mm plugs but I believe these CC 8mm are rated for 300 amp ? Just using what I had in the box . Nice to see your prop shop is going well ! First tim I’ve used this Meza wire , I’m liking it .
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

While I "know my stuff" where land-based RCs are concerned, my '2 cents' probably isn't sure much were FEs are concerned. Nevertheless, between the two, the 8mm should be more than capable. For my first FE, I went with the ProBoat SonicWake, and I can say that the stock ESC won't stay for too much longer, to be replaced (probably) with the HW Seaking 180A. In making this swap, I've also been looking into connector options.

Initially, it was between sticking with the EC5s, or going with XT90s (as I already have several batteries with XT90s for my Sl4sh & 2 Rustler 4x4s)...but, the more I thought about it, I decided I wanted to have batteries dedicated to boats (next will probably be the TFL Pursuit), and I figured they should have different connectors than my other batteries (XT90, XT60, Deans, & 4mm bullet). Thus, I was led back to OSE's website, where I discovered the OSE connectors. After evaluation the options, considering the proving, availability, and power-handling capabilities, I decided on the OSE 8mm connectors as the "best" choice. If I were to ever get into TRULY high-powered vessels, then the 10mm would probably be needed...but, for the foreseeable future, with the 3-4 boats I'll end up with, the 8mm should do quite nicely.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    No it doesn’t take it down that much , maybe somewhere between a 7-6 gauge. I misread your post, working right now.
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    While I "know my stuff" where land-based RCs are concerned, my '2 cents' probably isn't sure much were FEs are concerned. Nevertheless, between the two, the 8mm should be more than capable. For my first FE, I went with the ProBoat SonicWake, and I can say that the stock ESC won't stay for too much longer, to be replaced (probably) with the HW Seaking 180A. In making this swap, I've also been looking into connector options.

Initially, it was between sticking with the EC5s, or going with XT90s (as I already have several batteries with XT90s for my Sl4sh & 2 Rustler 4x4s)...but, the more I thought about it, I decided I wanted to have batteries dedicated to boats (next will probably be the TFL Pursuit), and I figured they should have different connectors than my other batteries (XT90, XT60, Deans, & 4mm bullet). Thus, I was led back to OSE's website, where I discovered the OSE connectors. After evaluation the options, considering the proving, availability, and power-handling capabilities, I decided on the OSE 8mm connectors as the "best" choice. If I were to ever get into TRULY high-powered vessels, then the 10mm would probably be needed...but, for the foreseeable future, with the 3-4 boats I'll end up with, the 8mm should do quite nicely.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    I have hade awesome experience with 6.5mm CC plugs on my T29 setup , T180v3 , CC1515, 4s , wide open throttling for 5 minute runs. I like the CC plugs mainly because the gold plating hold up better to heat when I torch solder and they seem to fit together better. I haven’t used any other plug in a few years now so I really don’t know how good the current runs are
    --Albert Einstein