Thread: 3D printing...unlimited possibilities!

Default 3D printing...unlimited possibilities!

I started the Scarab scratch build with a 3d scan of the 80's Monogram model. The deck and hull were enlarged 445% and printed in over 20 pieces.
    These prints were glued together and finished and fiberglass molds were made. I had a company called Scanman do the scans and stl's. My printer is a Tevo Tornado. The cad program I use is Fusion 360 and the slicer program I use is Simplfy 3D. A slicer prepares the file for printing and directly communicates with the printer. The plastic I used is called PLA...its hard but brittle. I used it for all the parts but for some of the drive components mounting pieces I cast them from resins...
    3D printing looks very difficult and intimidating at first...believe me it's not.
    If I can do it anyone can...it just takes a little time to learn and an initial investment...you also need a good laptop with lots of ram.

Great idea to add it to the forum...

Also check out a site called Thingiverse...thousands of free stl files and a large bunch of rc boat stuff...

The possibilities are endless!
    20180919_122256.jpg20180919_122246.jpg20190929_124521.jpg
    South Jersey Vice

Very nice.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Super cool
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

Nice design there. When someone makes a JAE Mini Sprint or something like a Tenshock Mini Mono or a Mini KEP's Rigger all one piece (not glued together or multiple pieces) I would buy one if it's ARTR and half the cost of actual one but I doubt that would ever happen.

Here is our own personal JAE mini rigger, its not for sale, nor will I share the STL's (they are Joe Petro's design, I do not want to have any issues with Zippkitts)

That said, it was a fun thing to create, my son and I modeled the boat together and printed it. Many hours of teaching and learning and not too much screaming along the way....

As the OP said, if you're willing to spend some time, its easy enough. I'm pretty sure I could get the print smoother if we re-printed it today, like I said much learning........

JAE mini rigger.jpg

Nice!