Thread: V24

Default V24

Hi all i just came across a Aquacraft V24 hull and want to make it electric i dont need it to scream but have need for parts list dont want to just buy stuff that wont work Please help Mike.

If you post a pic, you may get better help. Not sure what hull that is.
    Welcome to the forum!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Thanks for the welcome i will figure out the website thanks for the tip

The Aquacraft V24 onedesign is a 54" twin stepped mono that is a fairly good replica of the Ocke Mannerfeld v24 that was hugely successful racing offshore in the late 90s /early 2000s, it is a very narrow design at the waterline with quite a high deadrise angle which made it amazing in rough water, but used strakes and aero heavily to maintain lateral stability and high speed performance.

Due to the prominent wings these related designs (Ocke made quite a few boats with a similar design ethos at different sizes both inboard and outboard for different race classes) are colloquially known as "Batboats".

Due to the very narrow beam and the aero getting so much of it out of the water at speed they are very suseptable to torque roll. All the full size batboats had either closely set twin outboards, or a sterndrive with contra props on a single shaft which was developed by volvo specifically for Ocke's boats. Models do OK without contra props, but do work better with KVs at the higher end and using props at the smaller end of sensible limits. Graupner and H&M have both made batboats that have been very successful in FE racing in the past and I have a 42" one from MHZ, one things all these hulls have in common is lightess though, and with the small props needed for good handling that is pretty important.

The Aquacraft v24 has a typical RTR layup that is very thick on the gelcoat and pretty heavy, so for efficiency you may have to use a gas size prop and take the hit to handling, it came with a crummy Fuji 24cc engine that woefully underpowers it for its size, spinning a 65mm prop which is too big for the hull really, but the engine won't get it up out of the water properly, so the torque didn't effect it badly. I know you said you didn't need it to scream, but that is a pretty vague speed request it would be much better of you could be more specific with what you are after, as if you are happy with the stock speed the stock prop does fine, but if you want to go much faster you would be better off with a smaller prop spinning faster.

All the batboat models I know of including the AQ v24 suffer from using scale steps, which while not being so bad as having no steps, are far from ideal steps when scaled down to model sizes.

The AQ v24 has a very innovative RC pitch adjustable stinger that was stolen from PIP, which makes setting up the boat and adjusting for water conditions a breeze.

Mine is my biggest boat, still a foot shorter than the AQ and I would bet a whole LOT lighter, so I cant really help with specific recommendations unfortunately, though hopefully with what I have said about the boat generally one of the guys that run heavy 2p gas size boats can help you further.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Thank you NativePaul for the 411 on V24 you were correct this boat is 54in long i would like to see 40ish mph for speed as for trim section all i have is the rudder assembly and 2 manual trim tabs were water inlets are located i need 411 on how to chose the right strut assembly for 1/4 flex shaft also a good brushless motor the hobby shop guy says SSS 500kv but that motor and esc is almost 500.00 bucks and that's not in budget any recomadtions would be great. Thanks mmorias1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OHyVwo1-4k

Mine from a while ago...ran wet and never got to its full potential..still have the hull as it just looks neat!

Also boats that size you are not going to convert for under 1K once you consider ESC, Motor, Batteries and chargers etc.

All for about 5 minutes run time.

Recommendation is not to mod it if your budget is less than 5 hundred.

ESC 250 bucks https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...ef-HBC1240L-CW
    Motor 200 bucks https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=leo-56110
    Batts 200 Bucks (Need 4 to run 10s2P) https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us

There's 650 without any hardware/chargers...

No such thing a a budget build for a boat that size.

I don't have any experience with boats as big as you are looking to build,but I can tell from observing others at the pond in that size range to push a 54" hull into the 40's mph it is going to require big electronics. Cost of motor and appropriate esc is probably going to be around $400 to $500 if you buy new. Watch here on the forum as used motors and esc's are quite common.If you do bite the bullet and buy new equipment please consider buying from OSE. This great forum is provided by Steve the man who owns and runs OSE and we the members like to support his business.Also you will pay less here than at your local store. He sells good quality stuff at a very fair price.

I have a 45" mono that currently runs a TP5670 650 kv on 10s 5000 mah, with a Seaking HV 130 esc and ABC2314/3 prop does 90 kph. This is enough for a heat race.
    With a TP4070 440 kv on 12s, same esc would do around 80 kph and would do two heat races on 6000 mah.
    This setup with a Graupner carbon 57 mm prop could do over 8 mins on the 6000 mah packs, speed max at 56 kph.
    You can run a bigger hull at lower speeds for reasonable run times and you don't need big esc's, it is all about amp draw. Weight does not have a big impact on running speeds if your goal is 40mph. I have run endurance boats with 5 kg of batteries in them and it did not impact top speed, or performance. I would beat out gassers in offshore endurance races.

For a budget build I would suggest a 56 mm can motor around 500 kv, ZTW Hv 150 esc on 10s with props in the 60-65mm range. If you want to spend the extra on a bigger esc then that is no loss. The Graupner carbon props are a good place to start as they are cheap to figure out the size you would need.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.