Thread: Selling boat questions

Default Selling boat questions

Here's the deal.
    Plan on selling my blackjackv3 (need to cover some of my sons collage funds) anyways, what is the best way to package it, that its safe from damage? cardboard box full of "peanuts"?

Best carrier?

Also: what about shipping cost? I guess it depends on where it's going and make a deal with the buyer.

Enjoy the weather while it last,
    John

I have sold dozens, no problems.
    1) bubble wrap boat, with all loose hardware inside firmed up with bubble wrap or other.
    2) encapsulate boat in peanuts, preferably the dissolvable ones.
    3) add cardboard corner reinforcements to box.
    4) ship with at least 2” extra space between boat and cardboard. I have found Usps to be competitive with this sized package.
    5) keep seller apprised of shipping stages.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

The carrier/shipper doesn't matter. I am of the firm belief that all shipping damage is the seller's fault and can be avoided, with a few exceptions like runaway forklifts, fires, and Ace Ventura. I agree with all of Jesse's suggestions. I too remove as much external hardware to reduce sharp points and decrease the overall external dimensions. Wrap it all up and pack it inside the boat. Nothing should be able to rattle or move. Assume the box will be shipped vertically, at all times. The hull WILL settle to one end or the other if there's not sufficient packing to stop it. Peanuts alone are useless for this reason. A good piece of foam or several layers of folded bubble wrap at the transom end will help. The sponson tips or bow of a hull will ALWAYS find the end of the box. They will poke through all padding, despite your best intentions, and the tips will chip at a minimum. The best way to prevent this is to stop the hull itself from moving forwards, not the tips. Roll a big piece of bubble wrap up (coffee can size) and place it between the sponson tips of a cat hull so that the forward deck of the hull is the only part that can receive pressure from the end of the box, through the roll of bubble wrap. Not really necessary for your sized boat, but long hulls can use some internal box reinforcement. Insulating foam board, or additional sheets of cardboard along the sides help increase the rigidity of the sides.

2017-12-01 15.49.31.jpg 2017-12-01 15.50.32.jpg 2017-12-01 15.54.48.jpg 2017-12-01 16.08.19.jpg
    Last edited by fweasel; 10-12-2019 at 08:08 PM.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

And my best suggestion, I always assume any package I send of value will be lost or damaged beyond repair so I insure it for the full purchase price. If that means you need to charge more for shipping, or eat those costs, so be it. If you choose to not offer insurance, be clear with the buyer upfront so that if a damaged package arrives, they understand what their options are from the beginning.
    Last edited by fweasel; 10-12-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Comprehensive as always, Ryan!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet