Thread: Steering for Dual Outboards

Default Steering for Dual Outboards

I am refurbishing my 36" Dumas SK Daddle for about the 4th time since the original build in the 1990s. Most recently it ran with a traditional inboard setup powered by a Leopard 3674 and 2x2s lipos in series. This setup was incredibly fast, but I've always liked outboards, so decided a couple of months ago to make another change and go with an outboard setup. I'm also interested in making the boat look more like a real boat than usual SK configuration. I've scratch built seats, a center console, and am now completing a radar arch--all adding weight, of course (now about 7 lbs before battery, esc, motors, etc.)

I'm looking at OSE's scale Evinrudes, and given the weight and size of the boat wonder whether a single OB would be sufficient. So now I'm considering a dual motor setup. I think I have the space for the ESCs and a couple of 3s batteries, but am puzzled about how to manage the steering setup. I think connecting the motors directly together isn't an issue, but I haven't figured out how to connect the two motors to a single servo. I'm not sure I have room for 2 servos, so am hoping some of you with more experience and knowledge about how to engineer this can respond.

Thanks.

Lynn

Dragonfly 4.jpg

Hi Lynn. Cool project. One option to steer dual OB's w/one servo would be center arms on each outboard, linked together, then a side push/pull cable (large size golden rod or equivalent would probably work).

Thanks, Shooter. Appreciate your response. I found a YouTube video which appears to show a set up similar to what you have suggested. They appear to have done a fair amount of fabrication to get it to work, but it appears to be doable. I'm going to try to mock up this type of arrangement to see how it actually works. They are using different outboards, so likely the first step is to figure out a linkage connection that would work with OSE's Evinrude scale OBs, then see whether there is room for a linkage from the servo.

Thanks again.

Lynn