Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: NAMBA's P Limited Rules.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post

I'll re-submit and let the chips land where they may. I'll rest easy knowing I tried. If IMPBA is crippled by it then so be it. I will say, I'm completely over debating it. Done.

If yer an FE racer and this is something you want.....contact your district director so that he or she knows where you stand on it. You don't have to be a director to be "involved". Those guys are elected to represent us. They actually want to do that. They volunteered to rep their district members. It's the gig. If they never hear from us they don't know what we think. For that matter......if you think the whole thing is absolute folly tell them that too. Either way, "go or no go" has to be up to us, the members.

Should go back in Monday.
    Thanks Terry! I think this is a step in the right direction. And addresses Terry Keeley's question.

I hope the future sees the parity that lots of people are looking for.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Can someone tell me why all the IMPBA clubs are running "limited" style classes, but dont want to approve a limited class? Doesn't it make sense to run a standardized format across the organization?

The P-limited class is doing nothing but trying to back-door the management of available power. Defining a motor list or a motor length limit gives us a false positive that we can limit the available power evenly across the board. IMO the answer to nearly all of our problems is some type of current limiter (or watt limiter). That is easier said than done, but think about it?. If we had a device that would open the power circuit if the device sees over 95amps for 10sec or more (arbitrary values). Just think about how much money people would have saved on motors and controllers over the last few years!

Motor length becomes LESS of an issue
    Stock RTR controller vs. Castle 240amp becomes LESS of an issue (remember that argument)
    Re-wound motors becomes LESS of an issue
    Spec-ing a prop diameter limit becomes LESS of an issue
    6 pole, 4 pole, or 2 pole becomes LESS of an issue
    Motor KV limitations vs. no limitations would be LESS of an issue
    Motor cost becomes less of an issue $60 Leopard vs. $200+ super-duper NEU or Lehner

REGARDLESS of what we do there will ALWAYS be someone looking to play in the gray area and/or blatantly cross the perceived line. It?s indicative to all styles and forms of Stock, Limited, Spec, Club?. whatever racing.

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    IMO the answer to nearly all of our problems is some type of current limiter (or watt limiter).
    Mike, Is this available?
    Steven Vaccaro

The P-limited class is doing nothing but trying to back-door the management of available power. Defining a motor list or a motor length limit gives us a false positive that we can limit the available power evenly across the board. IMO the answer to nearly all of our problems is some type of current limiter (or watt limiter). That is easier said than done, but think about it?. If we had a device that would open the power circuit if the device sees over 95amps for 10sec or more (arbitrary values). Just think about how much money people would have saved on motors and controllers over the last few years!

Motor length becomes LESS of an issue
    Stock RTR controller vs. Castle 240amp becomes LESS of an issue (remember that argument)
    Re-wound motors becomes LESS of an issue
    Spec-ing a prop diameter limit becomes LESS of an issue
    6 pole, 4 pole, or 2 pole becomes LESS of an issue
    Motor KV limitations vs. no limitations would be LESS of an issue
    Motor cost becomes less of an issue $60 Leopard vs. $200+ super-duper NEU or Lehner

REGARDLESS of what we do there will ALWAYS be someone looking to play in the gray area and/or blatantly cross the perceived line. It?s indicative to all styles and forms of Stock, Limited, Spec, Club?. whatever racing.

There ya go, something better for the future.

But for now there's a proposal on the table for a simple, easy to tech solution that will cross over to both organizations and provide the majority of IMPBA members with a National Rule set.

Will there "be someone looking to play in the gray area and/or blatantly cross the perceived line"? Sure there will. Will they create enough of an advantage to be way ahead of the pack? Probably not from what you've told me.

I hope when this "crosses your desk" you'll have a good hard look at the BIG PICTURE and advise the BOD and vote accordingly.

IMO the answer to nearly all of our problems is some type of current limiter (or watt limiter). That is easier said than done, but think about it?. If we had a device that would open the power circuit if the device sees over 95amps for 10sec or more (arbitrary values).
    I respect your thought process and it could fix several things as you mention... but it's not really realistic as nothing exists to accomplish that and the real world of that type of limiter would be a lot of DNFs.
    Racers would be pushing the limits of the amp/watt limit and if they go over the circuit just opens and the boat stops.

What happens if there's a weed around the prop or the prop gets a ding during a race and the amp draw goes up slightly?
    The list could go on and on with minor things that could change a boat's amp draw slightly during a race or just on going changes during the life of a boat. Maybe the motor bearings or strut bushings wear and cause slightly more amp draw. Do limited class racers then need to either replace motors often or learn how to change out bearings after each race event in order to keep their motors/drive lines running as efficient as possible?

In a perfect world your idea would solve some things.
    In the real world it isn't possible and would cause DNFs and frustrations that would result in the classes being unpopular.

IMO anyway... Which isn't worth much these days.
    Have fun with that....

If there are limiters available how will you police or determine they won't be tampered with? Does every racer have to buy the same limiter from one manufacturer? Can I buy an XWZ limiter or do I have to use one on the approved limiter list?Opens up a very difficult inspection process.
    Can size may not be perfect but can be easily inspected with conventional tools most every club has access to. Anyone raced a ROAR blinky class? Just cause it blinks doesn't mean it's legal and hasn't been modified. Rules that can't be easily enforced will be a real mess.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Ok, it seems there is only one proposal on the table. So now we sit and wait for IMPBA to handle this. Until then lets shut this down and reopen when there is a decision.
    Steven Vaccaro

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456