Thread: Coupler slippage

Default Coupler slippage

Have a MLB hydro 38". Running a Leopard 5692 1340KV 6s battery
    pushing a Octura X452/3. Using a 3/16 flex shaft. Put on full throttle Dives in a little then comes on plane
    all normal . Goes approx. 7-10 sec shaft slips in coupler, retrieve boat open up snug coupler
    send back out takes off like a scalded dog doing great that last for about 3 seconds.
    Bring home take put shaft measure dia. where coupler snugs up and it now mics at .176
    Any suggestions?

Soon as the coupler slips , chuck it. I had the same thing on my T-cat .250 cable. The cable was 5 years old and had been squished to death!! New cable (tinned) and coupler. All good . 3080 5T 455/3 462/2 10s 2p.
    cheers, Jay.

Once they spin they spin off metal from both sides. The coupler can get clogged too. If its Brass or Aluminum they get gummed up. Take an exacto and clean it out. Or Do as Jay says....

The guys are correct.
    Once the shaft has spun in the coupler both the coupler & the flex shaft have lost material.
    From your description of the number of times it has spun, & no doubt at full revs too, you will need to replace both coupler & shaft.
    A new coupler will not grab a worn flex shaft & it will spin on the shaft also.

Have 2 couplers to pick from
    (1) All steel
    (2) steel with Brass collet
    Which is the best choice?

Exactly what couplers are they? Not all steel couplers are the same. The Aeromarine couplers with the brass insert are good, but they can be difficult to pull out the cable at times.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Exactly what couplers are they? Not all steel couplers are the same. The Aeromarine couplers with the brass insert are good, but they can be difficult to pull out the cable at times.

I have the aeromarine and the Octura coupler
    OK I just checked the collet looks OK but ordered a new one

Thanks fellas for your assistance
    Last edited by willys45; 09-22-2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: new info