Thread: Classic 70?s Pickle Fork build

Default Classic 70?s Pickle Fork build

So I picked this up thinking ?WHAT A COOL TUNNEL? , and I am a sucker for 70 era metal flake. But alas it is actually a hydro of sorts. I think I finally have a home for that PB O/B

I have a few hydros on the build deck and I’m kinda done with the quest for speed at the moment. So this should be an interesting change. There seems to be quite a bit of room inside so once I grind out the ‘Great Stuff Foam’ I’ll determine a workable cell size and go from there. I suppose cowl mounting and some sort of capsule cover are my first big hurdles.
    FYI it is 30” in length and I have no clue as to manufacturer

I would be a sucker for that hull also. That thing looks really cool,and from the pictures you posted very professionally built. Keep us posted on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Panchothedog View Post
    I would be a sucker for that hull also. That thing looks really cool,and from the pictures you posted very professionally built. Keep us posted on your progress.
    Will do, I should have some spare time in the coming weeks. Since paint is already taken care of it shouldn?t take me too long to get together

So I do have a outrigger here but I bought it as is from Terry. I haven’t built one in a very long time but research says CG should be 15-20% behind front sponsons(15-20% of hull length?). There seems to be a theory of weighing the strut as well. This came up again and I found it when researching the 1/8 sport hydro(yet to be built).

Looks cool.
    My initial thoughts were that it might have been one of the Kneeler type of hydros. Or vintage stock class of hydro. But I don't really know.
    Looks like it will be fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Looks cool.
    My initial thoughts were that it might have been one of the Kneeler type of hydros. Or vintage stock class of hydro. But I don't really know.
    Looks like it will be fun though.
    I’m visiting Andy (AC Boats) this week so I’ll see what his thoughts are. He has years of nitro racing back in that era. Perhaps some light can be shed.

It doesn’t much matter really but it should be a different beast to drive.

Killer paint. Looks like it will be a fun project!
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Killer paint. Looks like it will be a fun project!
    Thanks Ryan, should be a different one for me. I got it off a fella whom got it new in 1978 when he was 12yrs old .
    I have the new K&B 3.5 O/B that is also that old. He never assembled it! It does have a couple small nicks from moving/storage but nothing too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    So I do have a outrigger here but I bought it as is from Terry. I haven’t built one in a very long time but research says CG should be 15-20% behind front sponsons(15-20% of hull length?). There seems to be a theory of weighing the strut as well. This came up again and I found it when researching the 1/8 sport hydro(yet to be built).
    Not hull length. It's the afterplane length, which is from ride pad trailing edge to the transom.
    For your beautiful 70's sports hydro, a more common distance would be 10 - 12%

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Not hull length. It's the afterplane length, which is from ride pad trailing edge to the transom.
    For your beautiful 70's sports hydro, a more common distance would be 10 - 12%
    ahhh, ok thanks Paul. Mmmm I think I’ll have a bit more figuring on layout then

Well I?m back at this one. I got a little distracted by a couple 1:1 projects

283F58A7-9F48-4AD3-8F1C-B6E20FEF7915.jpgDD0BC64B-86F5-4836-A832-CB4EED5489AF.jpg

But they are complete now So back to the O/B hydro

I have this thing almost good to go. I mounted the ProBoat O/B using a 3/4? think plexi standoff so I could actually get some travel out of the steering. I had the servo mounted in the back section but my CG needed as much help as it could get with that O/B back there. Little 120 esc is under the servo. Two 3000mah 5s packs go as far forward as I can get them.

FC83D9B8-3E08-4599-9AB1-50F20FE7C354.jpegEB261E9D-4C1A-4F9B-BA1D-014D7D783A1C.jpeg

I found a 1/10?ish scale driver in my pile o parts and mounted him to some foam which squeezes into the cockpit area to hold water out(I hope) and holds the battery set in place. I made a little CF cowling for the missing area behind driver before the fuselage (to be epoxied to fuselage yet).

2D746B5A-E340-4FA4-B3D4-1D2AFBA3278D.jpeg

Now I just need to figure a way to pull that foam driver base out with ease (currently not an easy task) and get the fuselage mounted , also for easy removal.
    I

I ran a pull wire under the foam platform the driver sits on from the middle front to the rear starboard with a loop. Pulls up easy, very little water in this boat after a run. I was really not sure how to seal this one but it looks like what I did worked. So here is my vid

That's a nice running boat . Looks like it handles great .

Quote Originally Posted by 1coopgt View Post
    That's a nice running boat . Looks like it handles great .
    I’m going to try to shallow up the fin I think, it seems to ride up on the fin a bit. I’m fairly new to tuning a hydro so just trying stuff out.