Thread: Do cowl locks leak by design - Never used them but would like to

Question Do cowl locks leak by design - Never used them but would like to

Have never used cowl locks but I now have a Zelos and a Miss Geico Zelos and am kind of tired of twisting those knobs 25 turns per corner. Looking at the small, medium and large
    units that OSE sells the only pic that shows any type of rubber gasket is the medium. It appears the design would allow water to come down the center shaft if the boat was over and
    awaiting rescue during a race. Or if I did something stupid by myself - either way.

Appreciate any info from experience with these. Thanks

Yes they leak some, but never enough to deter me from using them on some of my boats, Zelos included. I've taken them apart to add o-rings on the top plunger to help minimize the water.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I’ve used them lots, the larger Aeromarine ones stand the test of time better. They leak a little but I don’t run them on the airtime boats

A screw protector on the bottom works well at keeping the water out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for the replies guys. I think what i will do is forget the idea and just remove the knobs and their female sockets and seal the holes this in view of the fact that I have to tape
    the boat anyway. The ones in the top hatch should work fine with epoxy and perhaps the lower ones with RTR or something similar. Its nice that the holes are as small as they are.
    Before I do that tho I might just try that screw thread protector - The ones I have pop right onto the nut under the deck and stay put but will they when the gymnastics start? A dab of
    glue maybe?

My thanks again to fweasel, srislash and RayR Mike

I have also done the same as fweasel. Taken them apart and used an o ring around the top plunger. After many years and a fair share of sending out the retrieval boat only very little to no water inside the hull.

Thanks for the reply - sorry but I just now read the link. Anyway I may just remove the threaded knurled nuts and sockets, fill the holes and tape the hatch - which you have to do anyway.
    First though I think I will try slotting the heads and then tightening and loosening them with my trusty electric screw driver. So many options - so little time!!

Just make sure you use some kind of cowl locks and not just tape, as I found out in the early days of owning a fe. Your cowl could dislodge in a blowover which could turn out to be a disaster.

Thanks for the tip. I will order a set and take a look at them. I will say that I have seen a couple of hatch blow offs in violent flips but never my own. (Yet?) Our club uses a Canadian hockey stick tape
    that seems to stick really well and generally comes off easily without taking off paint. Also there is seldom any sticky residue left on the boat but when there is it removes easily with alcohol.