Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumas Miller American 1985

Default Dumas Miller American 1985

Hi all, I'm brand-new to this forum however, I built a lot of balsa airplanes and have been handed the task of completing this boat for my friend in New Jersey. He started 30 years ago and had a child in Outlook got put the side never picked back up. So with that being said, I am familiar with brushless airplanes and so forth. I would like to convert this boat to brushless however I'm not prefer Millie or with any of the procedures of building a boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.I'll be right back when I figure out how to download the photos my file must be too big

Nice! Great kit! I'd check all those old joints. They might be brittle after 30+ years depending on what glue was used. Maybe just glass over them?? I use 3/4oz lightweight cloth w/west systems.

ShooterThanks for the reply.
    Maybe you could direct me to a a tread a build tread or something your I've been looking all over. I need to make a list the materials electric brushless motor I'm thinking 8S set up 4 s where they should be laid out for the CG and all that noise. I doubt my friends ever going to race this thing you would just like to see a completed and use it as a sport model. But it certainly would be nice if it halled the mail.

Like I said a list of battery ESC motor motor mount etc. etc. etc. prop would be helpful and where to buy it.

Here are some build and info threads. Use the NAMBA power rules, that will make a reliable and quick (50s) model. Most of the parts you need are available at the OSE Parts Store.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?60385-Total-noob-1-8th-scale-ML-172-extreme&highlight=Scale

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?58559-U-3-1-8-scale-Hydroplane&highlight=Scale

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?59210-1-8th-Scale-Miss-Thriftway-Setup&highlight=Scale

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?57040-my-new-1-8-scale-Squire-Shop-neu-1527-1-5y&highlight=Scale

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?55796-1-8-Scale-Winston-Eagle-Hydro&highlight=Scale

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ale-hydroplane
    Sorry folks, I didn't know any other way to post photos on this tread so go to the above link and check out my built again. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Cool

Upload pics:

Open a post reply window
    On the right side of the reply window bar find the picture icon (square with tree)
    Click on it
    Click on the From Computer tab
    Click on the Choose File button
    Click on Browse button
    Find photo and click on it
    Click on Upload button
    Submit reply

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

help. angle of attack of the canard??the plan is marked 7/16 from top of deck at rear of canard.

So I need to touch up the red a little bit and then I'm going to shoot some clear on it or maybe I'll shoe clear. I don't know

thumb-IMG_2206.jpg

test Well, believe it or not this is a rattle can paint job. I used Rust oleum I guess they call it automotive for the white paint. However, I did get some 2K primer for the boat first. I friend owns a body shop they didn't have the each automotive cherry red so I had to use regular sunrise red rust oleum and I had some problems with some wrinkling, but I was able to water sand amount with 800 paper so I put the decals on and cleared over those also use a little bit of 2000 paper and polished it would my buffer and when I was a kid I used to be a body man, but that was a very long time ago PS when I was a kid I used to get a pint of lacquer for eight bucks. I guess I'm old
    Last edited by Firechief51; 10-04-2019 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Figured out how to post

thumb-IMG_2203.jpg
    Well I started this project, 20 September. It is now October 4 14 days later I'm at this point. However, I have to wait to like it all the driveline and motor finish up the's pretty good for my first boat build. I must say myself
    Last edited by Firechief51; 10-04-2019 at 07:37 PM.

thumb-IMG_2198.jpg
    I might be figuring out how to post these pictures

Last edited by Firechief51; 10-04-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Man she looks good.

Looks great.
    What motor did you end up getting there?

IMG_2239.jpgIMG_2240.jpgIMG_2236.jpg
    700-98-840 kv 200 A ESC 8S. I also made a would saddle for the epoxy mount. My friend finally sent me the parts. However I'm short the batteries and the servos so I still have some more work to do. I'd like to test it before and bring it to him for Christmas. And not known to you. I've also cloned this boat. I've traced all the parts and fill the second boat but this one I'm going to run nitro. This one will be the 1984 Atlas Van line I've already ordered the graphics from thunder graphic I've got the base coat a white on the other ship but it's going to be a little tougher to paint, so I'm waiting on the graphics to do the layout stripes there's three color blues.

Beautiful!! It's amazing what a good wet sand and wheel job can do for paint!!

IMG_2270.jpg Well I couldn't help myself. So using all the trees. If you will or the cutouts from the Dumas kit, I cloned my own. In another words I completely scratch built it. I got my decals from thunderbolt while back I just haven't got around to painting the ship by the was waiting for the decals the layout the paint. I know it's far from perfect but that's okay. Good enough for me. I found an old 60 Marine engine and put it in there. I kinda like nitro. Most of my model airplanes or nitro. I like to smell.

IMG_2271.jpg PS the paint is still soaking wet , I sprayed it with a gravity feed. I match the paint at the Home Depot. I used oil-based through some Japan dryers and it in the splash of Terps

Well the main part of the boat is too wet to or tacky rather to put any of the in striping on it. Well quarter inch stripe, but I did do it on the Finn and the elevatorIMG_2273.jpgIMG_2272.jpg

nice scratch build!!!!

IMG_2274.jpgIMG_2275.jpgIMG_2276.jpg

Put on the dark blue striped today looks sharp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast