Thread: Noob found a 63" hull to build- would like input

Default Noob found a 63" hull to build- would like input

I just managed to get my hands on some lake property, and I was pointing out that I should build an RC boat. While I was thinking more of a little 20" outrigger, my dad gave me a boat hull that he had laying around for me to work with. This thing is big at just over 63" long and almost 15" wide. I'm a little out of my knowledge zone. Back when I was a teenager, I saved up to buy and build a Gentry Eagle model from a kit.

So I've started some research to see what I need to do, and now I want to get the input of those of you (all of you) that are smarter than I am about this stuff. I don't really need it to be super fast, but I want it to be fast enough to be fun (over 40, I'd think, and upgrade later?), but I think run time is more important. I don't want to charge batteries for 4 hours to run it for just 3 minutes.

Should I just go gas at this point? I understand electric better and I don't like messing with carbs, but the ability to run essentially unlimited time with gas refills is pretty nice.

Initial thoughts were to put in dual SSS 5684-800KV motors, that I thing would get it going pretty fast, but then I started to look at batteries and run times, and that is why I'm now wondering about gas instead.

I'd love it if someone could offer some guidance on what I could expect on build cost estimates for gas vs electric, as well as speeds and run-times.

I'll add some pictures of the hull too.

Boat Hull.jpgBoat Length.jpgBoat Width.jpg

So this is just a hull bottom then? Geez that leaves a wide open field for top deck design, a Gentry #2?
    I think the gas route would be best option for you. Peter on here gets some good runtimes at reasonable speed on electric but I think he is running 16-20,000mah for it. That is 8 6s packs for 15-20min runtime.
    The gas Zenoah motors are pretty decent, once setup that is about it aside from an occasional spark plug. There is a bit to learn in way of cleaning and such for storing. Zenoah motors can be $500 and up depending what you want but all the hardware should be comparable to FE price wise.
    The thing that keeps me off gas is packing it in my car (it stinks)to travel to the lake and the noize, you may want to check with neighbors before making your decision.
    That being said I do have a 57” Apache with 29cc Zen in the garage that I have not run yet.
    Shawn

Thanks for the info. That is sort of what I was thinking. As much as I would rather have a nice electric, seems like this isn't the right hull for that project. I'm sure I'll be able to do one as a next project.

I was looking at Peter's threads, and while it looks like he has it figured out, I'm not sure I want to spend that much on batteries, and not to mention all the time waiting for batteries to charge when I could take 5 minutes to put in more gas instead. I'm a little hesitant about the noise, but I'll just have to play it by ear on when I can run it without making enemies of neighbors.

Shaun

By the way, anyone have a good recommendation for a forum that can help me with a gas build?

63" is a big hull for electric anytime, and it would take a fair splash of coin to make it a viable build. If you went for a smaller hull, 45" or so it is quite possible for 8-10 min runtimes on 10s 10000 mah. Like Shawn said I am doing 20 minute runs but I have set my boat up to do endurance racing and so have had to spend the money on big batteries, plus they cost way more to get to New Zealand also!
    I currently have a 45" hull that has a TP 56110 650 kv motor in it. I did a run just last Saturday on 10s 2P (10000 mah) and 12 laps of our course ( it was rough and windy so mostly only part throttle except for a squirt on the straights) used only 40%. That was on an X460 and a max speed of 88 kph. On 8s it would run at around 70 ish kph and be quite a fun basher and with lower amp draw would have a pretty decent runtime.
    Even with your big hull, you could run a similar/same size motor/kv. At around 40 mph you wouldn't need to spend a fortune on batteries, and a Seaking 130 HV esc would be sufficient. You would have a fair bit of room to play in regard to prop sizes also.
    I have some Graupner K series props coming to try, they are 'plastic' props but may work better for runtimes, and are cheap and do not need any finishing.
    If you want to build the hull you have, go for it. You will have to spend a bit of time and money but that is what a hobby is about anyway. Getting there is half the fun!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Thanks Peter. Good information. I think I'll make this hull gas, and find a hull around 45" or so to do an electric boat. It seems like it could be a fun project to make this one electric, but not for a newbie like I am. I really wanted a cat when I found this hull, so maybe next boat I'll be able to do that instead!