Thread: runaway bj29v3

Default runaway bj29v3

Twice now, bj has been a runaway, Been lucky was able to retrieve boat both times (although last time it took 4 days, lost in weeds (thanks to the Saginaw rc boat club that found it for me when setting up for races) Yea, both batteries are shot, but got the boat back (luckily nobody else found it)

120amp hobbyking ESC, dynomite 3650 2000kv motor, Spectrum DX4C transmitter, sr310 reciever. Batteries in transmitter are new.
    Boat was less than 100 feet away when loss control, it was stopped and then boat took off at about 1/4 throttle across the pond.

This happened in two different ponds. So its not a loss of transmit in the same area of local pond.

Could the antenna have a unnoticeable break in it? Checked it out at home (distance seemed ok, but I realize that its not the same as at the pond)

Yes, I did set receiver up to shut down with loss of receiver (I hope i did right though, seemed to work in house)

Probably should just replace receiver? Oh: receiver never been dunked in water either.

John

YOur antenna could have an unnoticeable break in it, but it is very unlikely, as the antenna is physically shielded by the braided stainless steel mesh that forms the RF shielding around most of it.

Set, adjust, double check and test the failsafe on your radio, see how long it takes to kick in and if you can make it any quicker. Many ESCs have a failsafe too, but sometimes it is too long to be of much use in many circumstances, like swordfishes cutting out after 3 seconds of no signal, so set and test that too if available, but don't rely on it.

Assuming you have done all you can for your current radio for free by correctly setting the failsafe, locating the RX far away from any electrics including wires, and getting the antenna up out of the hull vertically so it cant get blocked by the motor/battery/ESC/hardware/hull reinforcement/roostertail/etc. I see that RX runs on both DSM2 and DSMR, if you can chose which to use in your TX, chose DSMR, it has a better interference rejection protocol. I would consider investing in a radio known for the strength its link and the stability of its protocol, that has dual antenna diversity or dual receiver diversity, and buy some antenna extensions so you can get them well out above your boats. Ask local club members for advice and recommendations, I have travelled to lakes where fellow racers have had radio issues that they don't have at their regular lake, and local clubmembers have said oh, yeah we don't use X, Y, or Z radios here, they have issues, A,B, and C are fine though.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

do a range check with no motor power and then with motor power. i would do the no motor power range check at 100 yards then apply some motor power at the same distance for about 30 secounds and with a helper check to make sure rudder is ok left / right while motor power is on. might pay to look at the inside of receiver where the antenna clips onto the pc board, as i could be lose or slightly corroded.