Thread: why carbon for inlays

Default why carbon for inlays

Just curious why people choose carbon for most all inlay material. i would think fiberglass inlay on a fiberglass boat so the two can match the same strength characteristics... is it simply a weight thing?

Ive never done an inlay, although this winter i will do some strengthening of my veles 29.

Two reasons:

1) the carbon is far stiffer than any fiberglass, so a carbon inlay will stiffen a thin ‘glass hull with minimum weight.

2) many folks think that the carbon looks cool, and most will do an inlay for that reason alone.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

More of what the hull is made of adds the most strength for the weight if that is your priority, or like fluid says carbon adds better stiffness for the weight and looks cool.

Although having said that carbon adds the best stiffness for the weight, it only adds the most stiffness for the weight for a given thickness of laminate. Adding more thickness to the layup with a lightweight filler material like high density foam, end grain balsa or honeycomb, then adding another layer of glass or carbon on top of it will add HUGE stiffness with minimal weight gain compared to simply adding another layer of carbon straight onto the boat.
    Last edited by NativePaul; 08-25-2019 at 05:35 AM.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Not to get off topic but what are your thoughts on using a thin layer of Kevlar on a fiberglass hull. I purchased some to reinforce the keel of an old ABS sailboat that cracked and it seems to be quite a bit lighter and stronger than fiberglass.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt'n Crash View Post
    Not to get off topic but what are your thoughts on using a thin layer of Kevlar on a fiberglass hull. I purchased some to reinforce the keel of an old ABS sailboat that cracked and it seems to be quite a bit lighter and stronger than fiberglass.
    I have used kevlar on several full size racing hulls with marine epoxy and it is light and strong....but may not be as easy to obtain or cost efective as carbon fiber.....? I have used both though......

you may need to use the right product for adhering any matt type material to abs plastic.

West Systems G-flex can be used for gluing cloth to an ABS hull

Quote Originally Posted by 30nitro View Post
    I have used kevlar on several full size racing hulls with marine epoxy and it is light and strong....but may not be as easy to obtain or cost efective as carbon fiber.....? I have used both though......
    Thanks for your comments guys. It is super expensive. A square yard of 1.7 oz. cloth cost almost $100 bucks Canadian $ with shipping but it's so thin it conforms to the ABS keel very well. On a flat surface such as the interior of a fiber glass hull it should work wonders.

Kevlar is also very tough and difficult to cut. Plan on using a new, sharp set of aviation tin snips.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for