Thread: 2019 10th annual LOTO Mini Shootout pictures

Default 2019 10th annual LOTO Mini Shootout pictures

Busy weekend, haven't even unpacked yet, but I wanted to share a good link full of action shots and crashes from the 10th annual Lake of the Ozarks Mini Shootout. I took very few pictures and spent the majority of my time prepping our boats and helping out friends with theirs. What a weekend!

https://www.lakeexpo.com/gallery/boa...i6_cLxsuTk#167
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Great Stuff
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Very Cool

I wonder what the race organizers plan to do if / when there is a runaway and one of the many people in the water get hurt or worse?
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Had a tough weekend with my new build, but there was a silver lining. I got my canopy signed by Tony Battiato who drives the real American Ethanol Mystic at the shootout. Later that day I met Jeremy Anderson, the GM of Big Thunder Marine. They're one of the AE team sponsors, and he offered to take the canopy to the team to have it signed by the owner Don Onken and the throttleman, John Cosker. Lucky I had a silver sharpie in the toolbox!

2019-08-21 21.03.28.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Packing up before the event, charging the night before, my new American Ethanol shirt, CMS Wake Effects hatch from Key West crash last year hanging in lake restaurant, cool lake wall art
    2019-08-14 22.54.34.jpg2019-08-16 20.10.12.jpg2019-08-18 17.12.34.jpg2019-08-18 19.05.15.jpg2019-08-18 20.09.26.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Some real good times there Ryan. .awesome pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    I wonder what the race organizers plan to do if / when there is a runaway and one of the many people in the water get hurt or worse?
    Not to be a wet blanket, but coming from a strong safety culture I wonder the same thing. It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt.....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt.....
    Officially the most dangerous site I've ever seen. Can you imagine going for a dip and catching a rogue cat in the face at a 100mph? Yikes.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    Some real good times there Ryan. .awesome pics!
    Thanks! Most of the good pics are from the professionals that cover the event.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Team Real Nauti Racing had a solid event with mostly new builds and very few test runs prior. Cameron's beautiful 70" CRC Fountain Kilo boat ran 3mph faster than it did during our 1st tuning session over 4th of July. No mechanical problems and it received a lot of positive feedback from the spectators. This was Cameron's first scratch build and he nailed it. Dr. Brian's Genesis was back in action and only a few mph off last years pace. Not bad for a driver who has a grand total of 7 runs under his RC belt. Nick's Traxxas M41 was purchased just two weeks ago and is his first RC boat. It was stuck at half throttle speed and we finally sorted out the electronics late Saturday night. His first shootout run ever beat the speed printed on the box, and after we slapped on a bigger prop, he picked up another 10mph on run #2. He's hooked and already planning on the next boat purchase. Nick is going to be real disappointed to learn that not every modification nets you 10mph.

And then there was American Ethanol... my baby. The build was only just recently completed and had it's two first shakedown runs in the weeks prior. I was happy with how it ran back in Chicago and had high hopes for Saturday morning. My first pass of the morning was incredibly slow so I brought it back to the dock to check if both props were spinning. That's when one motor took off in reverse at full noise, and tried to drag the hull under water in a weird death spin. We finally got it shut down and back to the pits. Turns out one of the ESC's lost its programming and was the likely culprit for the reverse mishap. I reprogrammed it, and thought we were back in business. I made a donation to the Top Gun charity so that I could do a few test passes at the end of the day. This time the boat ran a little quicker, was more predictable, but still off the pace from my previous test passes back home.

After 5 passes, it started pulling to one side, so I shut it down and brought it back in. Popped the hatch, but the magic smoke had been released. The morning's reverse dilemma put a wobble in the right flex cable. It was my mistake for not pulling the cables between runs to inspect them. I blame the heat and surrounding eye candy. During the second run, that cable knotted up the teflon liner, and over heated the motor. The stuffing tube got so hot and the resistance was so high that the stuffing tube spun in the hull. The high amp draw took out the right ESC. I'm guessing the drag from the slower running prop on the right side over amped the left ESC and popped all the caps on that side too. The shootout was over for this little HPR. Time to shine it up and just look pretty the rest of the weekend. It was awesome to get so much positive feedback from the crowd on the paint job, but in all honesty, you could paint a turd with the American Ethanol livery and it would still be sexy. The rebuild planning is already underway. Next year there will be more German electronic bits and fewer unknown budget ones.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks Ryan for the pics. Like being there and hope to make it in 2020. Did you take one of Travis's boats there last year?
    Traxxas Spartan, RCBB Zonda-R, Promarine MTR, Proboat IMP 31 v3, PB UL-19, Bonzai FE 47 Skater

Not to be a wet blanket, but coming from a strong safety culture I wonder the same thing. It?s all fun and games until someone gets hurt.....
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Officially the most dangerous site I've ever seen. Can you imagine going for a dip and catching a rogue cat in the face at a 100mph? Yikes.
    They address safety in the rules. #2,10,15 & #16.
    Attachment 166232
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Zondar View Post
    Thanks Ryan for the pics. Like being there and hope to make it in 2020. Did you take one of Travis's boats there last year?
    Would be great to see you there! I ran a 27" Mini Zonda on 4S at the last two events, both build by Travis. 92mph in 2017 and 88mph in 2018. The water has to be just right for that boat to make a pass like that and it was taking the fun out of it for me so I moved on to larger hulls. Once the rollers start making their way into the cove from the main channel, it can be really challenging. I still claim to be the fastest boat per inch on the Lake of the Ozarks

DSC_0358 (Medium).jpeg Loto12.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

They address safety in the rules. #2,10,15 & #16....
    Those are not true safety rules, they simply “prohibit” behavior. They do not mitigate the safety hazards at all. They just “penalize” prohibited behavior after it happens. Not a modern proactive approach, more like a 1970s set of “rules”. The risk to spectators by an out of control boat is not addressed at all. Neither NAMBA nor IMPBA would insure this event, I wonder what entity would pay for someone severely injured or killed by an errant R/C boat - most likely the boat driver. Very disappointing.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Those are not true safety rules, they simply “prohibit” behavior. They do not mitigate the safety hazards at all. They just “penalize” prohibited behavior after it happens. Not a modern proactive approach, more like a 1970s set of “rules”. The risk to spectators by an out of control boat is not addressed at all. Neither NAMBA nor IMPBA would insure this event, I wonder what entity would pay for someone severely injured or killed by an errant R/C boat - most likely the boat driver. Very disappointing.

I should have used more of these.. You're right, NAMBA and IMBPA or any responsible organization would not sanction an event at this venue.

I imagine the lawyers would go after the boat owner, event organizers, and anyone else they thought they could get a dime from. And rightly so.

It happens.....https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...runaway-bj29v3
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 08-25-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I watched a guy that I have utmost respect for, hall of fame racer, worlds competitor lose control of his B hydro. Meticulous, detailed, real deal racer, doing it how he's supposed to..........burned into the opposite shore at wide open throttle. Nobody around it. It can happen to the best of them.

I wonder if that video is still around of the JAG team burning into the bank around 140mph at Legg Lake. That was disturbing. Those guys are the very cream of the crop and still hit shore.

Sadly, it will likely require a tragedy for this event to care about the safety of the spectators.
    Noisy person

Thanks for the great pictures.

But I do agree, Safety is huge. One issue these days and they want to shut us all down.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!