Thread: Why is Power cutting out at full throttle

Question Why is Power cutting out at full throttle

Recently upgraded Traxxas M41 boat to leopard 4082 X2 2200Kv with Seaking ESC 180A running 6S. It runs fine, nothing gets hot but at full throttle power cuts off. I can continue running but again at full throttle, power cuts off. ESC is programmed for 6S, low voltage at 3.4 and timing is 0 degrees. Prop is copper 42mm x 63mm. Batteries are 5000MAh 50C in series. Boat runs fine with stock ESC & motor.
    Last edited by jmdmbsc; 08-17-2019 at 08:22 AM.

It’s not running “fine” if the boat quits whenever you peg it. Most likely the ESC is going into low voltage cutoff mode because your battery cannot supply enough voltage under load. Your motor really has an excessive Kv for 6S running, but if you insist on running it I suggest you reduce the KV to 3.0 volts. If that does not work, then either turn off the LVC and time your runs carefully - some controllers have faulty LVC circuits. Or, get a better battery with a higher C rating and capacity...not all battery makers are truthful in their ratings. Exactly what packs do you run?

Another comment, your motor is a “Y” wind, so you should be running 10*-15* of timing advance, not 0.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    It’s not running “fine” if the boat quits whenever you peg it. Most likely the ESC is going into low voltage cutoff mode because your battery cannot supply enough voltage under load. Your motor really has an excessive Kv for 6S running, but if you insist on running it I suggest you reduce the KV to 3.0 volts. If that does not work, then either turn off the LVC and time your runs carefully - some controllers have faulty LVC circuits. Or, get a better battery with a higher C rating and capacity...not all battery makers are truthful in their ratings. Exactly what packs do you run?

Another comment, your motor is a “Y” wind, so you should be running 10*-15* of timing advance, not 0.

Thanks for the commenting. I'm running Venom Batteries, I do know the motor is a "Y" I had it at 11.5, then I figured I'd change timing to 0 to see if there was any change. So, two 50C batteries in series is effectively producing 100C, are you suggesting higher cells as opposed to 6S due to the 2200Kv motor? I'll lower the LVC off and see what happens.

The Seaking 180a esc's can be problematic re the lvc cutting in to soon, this has been a problem on some of them for some time now & has been aired on the forum before. 2 x 50c batteries in series is still 50c & not 100c.

what Martin said.....I have some seakings and have the same issues as many others are. the voltage settings are not accurate and prematurely cutout

I programed the low voltage to the lowest setting....no more problems but you dont really have low voltage protection you think you have.

had a seaking 180 esc pop last week and I think I heard a cap pop but decided to not even try to fix it ....I will buy a new brand that actually works proper

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    The Seaking 180a esc's can be problematic re the lvc cutting in to soon, this has been a problem on some of them for some time now & has been aired on the forum before. 2 x 50c batteries in series is still 50c & not 100c.
    Thank you I'll lower the LVC and investigate the ESC in the other threads.

Thanks ...

In the past some that had problems with the 180a esc lvc cutting in to early lowered the voltage setting but it made no difference to the lvc cutting in. They even turned the lvc off all together & still had the same problem, remember if you turn the lvc off you need to work out run times & time them so as not to go to low on battery capacity.

I would have thought that they would have fixed the problem by now. My son and I each bought the 180 speed control two years ago and they both have the same problem you describe. I really don't feel like spending the money for a new one So I have learned to live with it. Boat runs good at 90 to 95% throttle and I can even nail it, but only for 2-4 seconds and then back a little bit. Believe me when I say we have tried everything to fix this issue and nothing worked. My setup, 31" pursuit , leopard 40x82 1600 KV running either 5-s or 6-s battery 60 C. Not a over taxing setup by any stretch .

They may fix the LVC issue on the next ‘run’ of ESC’s. But I’d be willing to bet the first run of those ESC’s was a substantial number. Especially since the predecessor was such an awesome seller. I haven’t tried the new 180’s yet as I’m still running the old ones

Most T-180 users find shutting the LVC off works best. If you have not tried this previously I would suggest it before buying a new ESC.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

2200 kv,s is more suited to a 4s combo unless your doing SAW runs only. drop down to a lower kv motor [ 1600 max ] and all should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Most T-180 users find shutting the LVC off works best. If you have not tried this previously I would suggest it before buying a new ESC.
    Turning off the LVC worked.

Good to hear.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

A 2200 kv motor is a safe 4s motor at best. Running 6s is drawing high amps and probably causing your esc to shut down at full throttle. That is not a sport set up and you should get a lower kv motor like has already been mentioned. I ran two 2200 kv 4070 motors in a 32" fighter cat many years ago at a saw event and got over 100 mph which was a record at the time. If your just trying to go fast for 3 or 4 seconds well you got a set up that will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    The Seaking 180a esc's can be problematic re the lvc cutting in to soon, this has been a problem drift boss on some of them for some time now the impossible quiz & has been aired on the forum before. 2 x 50c batteries in series is still 50c & not 100c.
    I agree with your opinion and I will tell my friends to do it this way because it works quite well.

Early version 3, with single cooling line, was a real bummer for faulty low voltage cutoff. Hobbywing (Seaking) should have fixed it by now, but I'll never trust them again. Lots of club members have false LVC with current purchases. Better to get the OSE Raider 150.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Quote Originally Posted by mappo View Post
    Leopard is listing that motor at 4s @2200kv - 1600kv=6s
    This thread is almost four years old, and the person you are replying to hasn’t been back to the forum since 2019. He won’t see your reply.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by mappo View Post
    At 2200kv you can use a x450 prop on 4s and still get about 50mph unless you’re going for SAW
    I think you mean X445!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.