Thread: Back to Racing 1/8 scale.

Default Back to Racing 1/8 scale.

As some of you may remember, the local council drained our clubs race lake & demolished the dam wall.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...ad!&highlight=

We've had a few race meetings on the smaller "pond" with the 4s & 6s classes of Mono's, Sports Hydros, Cats, & riggers.
    A couple of us tried out the big 1/8 scale Hydro's to see if it is still viable to race them.
    So here's a test run of my U-95.
    I normally run a 2 blade Prather s235 prop, but because of the tighter course I tried a CNC 4614/3 blade to try & pull out of the tighter turns a bit better.
    This is a race simulation with one mill lap & 5 race laps & a wind down lap.
    Just thought I'd share.

Man that's nice ! There's only one 1/8 scale in my neck of the woods but I'm fairly inspired by your vid to consider building one to get some racing started.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Thanks buddy.
    Go for it.
    ML Boatworks has a huge range of framing kits. They make life easy.

Here's a race from before they demolished our lake & we ran the triangle course.
    As you will see I had a bit of a spin in the top corner & had to wait for the other two guys to pass me before rejoining the fun.

Thanks for the vids Paul. I’m with Tony, inspired. I have an Edge Sport Hydro on the shelf with island of building this winter.

Shawn

PS: which motor did you end up with in this one Paul?
    Last edited by srislash; 08-11-2019 at 12:23 AM.

Hi Shawn.
    They are a fun beast to drive.
    The U-95 has got the Neu 1527/1y 1250kv motor running on 8s1p with a Swordfish 240a ESC.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Hi Shawn.
    They are a fun beast to drive.
    The U-95 has got the Neu 1527/1y 1250kv motor running on 8s1p with a Swordfish 240a ESC.
    Excellent, have that motor here as well as the 1.5y @850kv and same ESC. Was planning a 2p setup as I run 4000mah packs for the most part and pretty much run alone.
    It looks a hoot to drive and I look forward to stepping into the hydros

It's hard to make heats of scale here in the states. There are pockets that run them but the two major racing organizations have different rules. Consensus will never happen.

NAMBA changed their scale rules making many existing boats illegal. That was such a surprise to the guys with those existing boats that NAMBA changed the procedure to ammend rules.

IMPBA has a list of legal motors. They also have an arbitrary speed limit for scale. Not a real number but a mental image of how fast some have decided they should go. Good er bad doesn't really matter because there's not enough interest to justify revisiting that IMO.
    Noisy person

Back in 2006-2007 there was talk of a "Super Saver 1/8 scale class here in California. Randy up North & John F. in Fresno were leading the talk IIRC. I know UbHauled (Jan) here in SoCal has one in his garage. Leonard Feeback close by here in D19 has one ready to go if he had some competition. I'm sure us folks at SCSTA could come up with some friendly guidelines if need be for our own local club races that wouldn't necessarily conflict with NAMBA or that other org.
    Hmmmm....

http://www.rcboatcompany.com/ScaleHulls.html
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

There are enough scale hulls in Texas to make a race, a few more are coming too. But really, as Terry stated current national rules limit participation. With the tiny scale community, the clubs should just make their own rules....IMHO anyway.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I have two boats there is one at or two at the Levescy's . I have not been able to get more than two or three at a time to run up here. So what I have done is have a Open FE class run in the district so any time we can run them. We always have enough boats to run the class since then. If any one want to run any 1/8 scales up here contact me for race dated and for Tom an myself to bring ours.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    the clubs should just make their own rules....IMHO anyway.
    Hind sight being crystal, we never should have made national rule sets. It never had the numbers to justify adding it to either org in my opinion. Pockets could have self regulated easy enough. The problem back in the day though was that some of the brass at NAMBA insisted that classes not in the rule book were not insured. Conflicted with the what the actual book said but that was the rhetoric at the time. The phrase "well, they expect us to follow our rules" is stuck in my cranium. We do. We gotta book fer that. Both books say something to the effect that you need to comply with the safety rules or yer hosed. Paraphrasing. There's nothing about class rules or heat racing rules. Not on paper at least.
    Noisy person

It still befuddles me how rule changes were submitted & then voted through by people that didn't race 1/8 scale, ultimately rendering nearly all the existing boats illegal.

Here in Australia, under the AMPBA, we can run from 7 cell up to 12 cell in our EC classes, which is what 1/8 scale comes under. The caveat is, that only a 1P setup is allowed, & the total weight of batteries cannot exceed 1950 grams. About 4.3lbs.

At our club, we have also allowed for members to detail a boat in their own design or 'Team' colours & graphics. As long as it is typical of the general designs on the full size boats.

It still befuddles me how rule changes were submitted & then voted through by people that didn't race 1/8 scale, ultimately rendering nearly all the existing boats illegal.
    You should belong to the NZMPBA! The current president pushes class changes to suit himself, his wife is secretary, he is the current presidents cup holder (and obsessed with winning, and currently it means he has to beat me this year!), is records collator and pc points collator. He also runs sanctioned regattas with non NZMPBA members and has awarded himself points using the non members - in short cheating! Oh yeah he is also the forum administrator and has removed me from being able to participate, not given me a right to a fair (any) defence following a "complaint" about a post which was in no way a breach of rules that do not exist and in disregard to the NZ bill of rights and freedom of speech.

And you thought they were bad!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

And they say that there is freedom in a democracy.Ha!