Thread: ESC recomendation

Default ESC recomendation

Thinking of putting a Leopard 4092 930 Kv/rpm per volt 3Y in an 1/8th scale unlimited running it on
    8 cell ( 29.6v) Lipo batteries, what is the approximate amperage ESC I will need to be on the safe side
    of not burning on up OSE states this to be a 2600 watt motor with a burst of 4200 watts. This will be in
    a Dumas Atlas Van Lines kit that will be modified and lightened up quite a bit. Not a competition boat
    just a fun running at the local lake boat.

Looking forward to any and all suggestions...….Thanks

Bill Diedrich
    Ventress, Louisiana

I always recommend 300 amps, to be safe; although you can go down to 200-240 amp controllers if you're careful with prop selection. 300 should give you some wiggle room.

The OP hasn’t been back to the forum for almost two months, so....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Oh but I have been lurking in the background though...……

Quote Originally Posted by jingalls007 View Post
    I always recommend 300 amps, to be safe; although you can go down to 200-240 amp controllers if you're careful with prop selection. 300 should give you some wiggle room.
    The SeaKing 130a seems to me to not have high enough rating for 8s, but it has a burst amp rating of 720a, which is significantly higher than any other manufacturer, what is your thoughts on this?

I don't have experience with the Seaking 130 HV, but looking at the specs it's rated for 12s which means it will handle 8s. I can't speak to the burst current of the seaking 130, although I've heard great things about the seaking 180 and its ability to handle high burst current.

Seaking 130 works fine in that setup even a dynamite 160.

Quote Originally Posted by jingalls007 View Post
    I don't have experience with the Seaking 130 HV, but looking at the specs it's rated for 12s which means it will handle 8s. I can't speak to the burst current of the seaking 130, although I've heard great things about the seaking 180 and its ability to handle high burst current.
    Heat is your enemy, and current/amps is what generates the heat. Typically higher voltage reduces amp draw and hence less heat. So it would make sense that the SeaKing 130A would be fine with 12s, But that 8s on a 15 plus pound boat, would make me nervous. But that burst current rating of 720 amps really gets my curiosity up, on how they come up with that number. I'm just thinking out loud...sorry.

When you said, "it doesn't have a high enough rating.." I didn't understand that your reference was to the amp rating, and not #of cells. I was responding to the fact that the 130a seaking will handle 8s since it's rated for 12s.

I'm not sure why the 130a controller was mentioned as it wasn't part of my response to the OP.

You can prop the boat to keep amps where they need to be.

All my scale boats Use low mha. There for the lipos will not let you get but so many amps any ways.

Hi. Newbie alert. Please be patient. I have a nice 1/8 scale shovelnose hull that wants to be a fast electric. This will be a sport boat for now. Could I get a recommendation for an ESC/Motor combo? In the R/C car world they are sold in pairs. Thanks! Mark Dickey

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dickey View Post
    Hi. Newbie alert. Please be patient. I have a nice 1/8 scale shovelnose hull that wants to be a fast electric. This will be a sport boat for now. Could I get a recommendation for an ESC/Motor combo? In the R/C car world they are sold in pairs. Thanks! Mark Dickey
    Motor: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...rod=tp-4070-v1
    Controller: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...ef-HBC1240L-CW

There's less expensive options and more expensive options so it really depends on your budget. You'll need to match your motor kv to your liops/#of cells.
    ie: 950kv motor you'd need 8s lipos which gives 25,308 rpm's loaded, roughly.

"I'm not sure why the 130a controller was mentioned as it wasn't part of my response to the OP." Sometimes one doesn't know enough about a subject to know what questions to ask. It is like feeling around in the dark, with every touch of another object, you slowly get a picture of where you are. This reply from Moonie>>"All my scale boats Use low mha. There for the lipos will not let you get but so many amps any ways.">> Is gold, and I would never have thought about ask this question. But it does lead to more questions. Like, how does the battery limit the current on a high power drain motor, without a current limiting device?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetefroid View Post
    "I'm not sure why the 130a controller was mentioned as it wasn't part of my response to the OP." Sometimes one doesn't know enough about a subject to know what questions to ask. It is like feeling around in the dark, with every touch of another object, you slowly get a picture of where you are. This reply from Moonie>>"All my scale boats Use low mha. There for the lipos will not let you get but so many amps any ways.">> Is gold, and I would never have thought about ask this question. But it does lead to more questions. Like, how does the battery limit the current on a high power drain motor, without a current limiting device?
    I didn't know you were inuqiring about the 130a controller with regard to the OP. I read your question without consideration to the 1/8 scale application because you didn't mention it. The more information the easier it is to get the answers you seaking. <--- I made a funny just now =)